Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield custom shop XD?

I recall there being a photo on the back (?) of Springfield's catalog that showed a souped up XD, that I think was coming from the Custom Shop? Anyone know whether that is a reality, or going to be a reality...or can be now with $$$$'s? Thanks

I spoke with the good folks at Springfield about doing some modifications on an XD. The gun on the back cover can be had, but it's over $2000.00. Of course, it is not production legal. I was looking at was a trigger job and factory installed Bomar sights. The pair is a bit over $500.00. Ouch. Too much money for my blood.

Wow.

Come to think of it I never really even thought about the price while looking at the gun, just assumed that it would be in the x 3 range of a stock XD...I was way wrong. At $2500 it is running in a field with some pretty high clover as competition.

I just sent Ron an E-mail on this, but as I have said in a few other threads, if I were REALLY going to get into production, I would have Rich from Cayon Creek (See advertisment area) order me an XD, and do the trigger and BoMar sights on the gun before I even took posessions of the gun. I have seen a few examples of his work on the XD's and they were all nothing short of AWSOME!

After perusing the Springfield catalog last winter, I was hot to get the Custom shop 5 in XD which, I thought, was $1100.

It had a trigger job, Bomars, Dawson FO front, hard chrome slide, Barsto Bbl and other misc stuff. With a coupon for some mags @ $40 ea. Thought they were hicaps. Couldn't get it then but it was in the Catalog.

The Springfield Custom shop will modify your XD to this config for $700. Retail for the 5"XD is $525 but you can get them for $400 and change. Total - $1225. http://www.springfield-armory.com/CustomShop.pdf

Rich at canyon Creek gets $900 or so for his complete including the pistol, I think without the Barsto Bbl.

Since I couldn't get the 5" XD then, I sent my Glock to Charlie Vanek, ordered some Dawson sights, bought some skateboard tape, and some Hicaps from CDNN for $20 ea. Never looked back.

How much just to melt a set of Bomars into the sucker? Where is all the money going with this gunsmithing? Are they welding then re-cutting the slide?

I like the XD, but there's no way in hell I'd sink the kind of dinero people are talking about into one.

Eric,

The SA Custom Shop's price list is in the link on my previous post. Seems like the average cost to mill the slide with the sight cost is around $250.

Rich at Canyon Creek does this work with the slide refinish and the sight but contact him to be sure. I've seem one of his jobs and it is slick.

How about this one?

spr_xd9420.jpg

Not only does it have a fiber front sight but it is stainless and it seems to have a different frame with an extended beavertail. I don't know if it is worth $900 as you still might want to add some rear sights.

Vlad

Flex, if your question was an answer to mine, I would answer it this way. It is no more illegal than the beavertail Para Ord puts on their LDA, while not putting it on other models. If it comes from the factory it is not an "add on", it is factory produced.

My opinion, your's may vary ;)

Hey Gary. The folks at Springfield told me it wasn't Production legal, but I think the person I spoke to is under the impression there must be 500 produced. Rich lined me out, the gun is legal.

The sight job is $280.00 and the trigger is $175.00. From what I hear, Rich does it for a bit less and his trigger jobs just freaking rock.

Thats few enough, Eric... :D

Does anyone have a pic or a link to a pic of the mag opening to this wondergun??

Easier mag changes would be a BIG plus. As I shoot P18 now I certainly would not mind seeing a gun that has a better opening to shove mags into. Takes me nearly twice as long to change my P18 as my Limited Gun.. I know that sucks but you can still tell me so if you want. B)

Merlin,

As opposed to the Glock, the XD is light years better for two reasons: (1) you can actually hit the mag release and (2) the mags rocket out of the gun when you do.

I don't think the XD will reload substantially faster than the Para. I've got to do some work here, but will try to post a pic later tonight of the XD mag and the magwell.

Flex, some models of guns have different features than others, i.e Glock 34 and 35 have slotted longer slides and other models don't. If SA wishes to produce a model of their XD with a beavertail and others without it, then they will, and their custom shop is not an issue. The thing to remember is if it comes from the factory with it, it is a factory item, not an add on, or an aftermarket feature. The only thing to consider, IMO, is the numbers of XD's produced, and are they available to the general public. I would say all XD's are XD's, only features of some guns are different, just like all Glocks are Glocks with some having different features. If SA makes them available to the general public, then they seem to me to be good to go.

If Glock, for instance, were to bring out a Glock with an extended beaver tail from the factory, then it would be a factory item, and legal, IMO, for Production Division.

We see Para, CZ, Glock, Beretta and others tailoring their guns for particular markets. One of those markets is USPSA/IPSC. I am very thankful that we are being looked at and improved models of guns made available to us for our use. It is a win-win situation.

Merlin,

As opposed to the Glock, the XD is light years better for two reasons: (1) you can actually hit the mag release and (2) the mags rocket out of the gun when you do.

I don't think the XD will reload substantially faster than the Para. I've got to do some work here, but will try to post a pic later tonight of the XD mag and the magwell.

I can't hit the XD mag release for shitake mushrooms... Glock is MUCH easier. AFA the mags rocketing out... the new 17 rounders frickin' fly!