Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often for 1911 tune up?

SSGJohnV

I've had my desert eagle 1911 G since late 2010 and have put about 15k rounds through the pipe. Still stock except for grips, recoil spring, sights, mainspring and MSH, and trigger.

What's a good round count/time to let my gunsmith look it over for a tune up? The trigger could use an adjustment as it's gotten some more slop in the past 3-5k rounds, but it's my daily carry so I'm hesitant to change anything without a good reason. She runs like a top still, besides the odd mag problem with 10 rounders. Thoughts?

I had a trigger job done on it right after I bought it to install a 10-8 flat short trigger and had the GS set it at about 4.5 lbs (like I said, carry gun). It was crisp with minimal creep and a little over travel at the time. It has since gotten much less crisp (slop) and a tad more over travel. I can still shoot it just fine, but I compete with it in L10 occasionally and IDPA a lot, so I like to know it's where I want it.

Thanks for the advice, OG. Anything to watch for as the round count goes up?

The things I replace every 20k or so is the recoil spring and I check the mag springs to make sure they are still GTG. I don't do much else.

I do a complete inspection of the gun every time I clean it and it comes completely apart. If anything looks wonky I replace it. But that rarely if ever happens.

Thanks, OG. I do something similar. Field strip and clean after each match, detail strip every 2-3 months. Only thing I've noticed is pitting on the. Breech face from primers with bad ammo a year ago. Doesn't affect function so I leave it alone. And I heard recoil springs should be changed around 5k rounds, is that not correct?

• 3 weeks later...

I think the mainspring on my primary range gun is the original and it's up somewhere around 50k rounds. I remember once needed to bend one of the fingers for a little extra tension but other than that it's still doing what it was designed to do.

Dirty, I think he means the mainspring, not the leaf/sear spring. Mainspring is what powers the hammer. Leaf/sear spring puts tension on the sear, disconnector, and grip safety.

My bad. Thanks for the slap. Pretty sure Ive got guns with at least 30k on those too.

Edited by Dirty Rod

Leave the three finger spring (i.e. sear spring) alone.

Mainsprings are cheap also but need care so you don't lose parts when you R/R them.

They can get some rust on them from sweat when you carry the gun all the time. So check them when you do your detail strip and change if rust is present