Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Alabama State IDPA Championship

Registration is open! The 2014 Alabama State Championship will be on April 26, 2014. We are using matchsignup.org to handle match registration and squadding this year. Signup and squadding are on first come basis, so sign up early to get the squad of your preference. Just go to the site and find the 2014 Alabama from the list (they are listed by date).

We are looking forward to another outstanding match with lots of great stages, great food, and fellowship. This year's match will be 12 stages with about 190 rounds minimum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stages are posted guys if anyone is interested in looking at them. There are 12 stages, round count appears to be 206 if I did my math correctly.

Weather is showing 84 and sunshiney skies with 0% chance of precipitation. Be safe!

EW

Lots of movers. David likes to build things that move.

I have been watching the weather forecast all week. Every day the chance of rain was less. Yay.

I shot the Florida State on a Sat AM, Sun PM schedule that missed the rain; but I sure felt sorry for the people shooting Saturday PM.

I could not tell they were recycling stages without laying the CoFs out side by side.

So it does not matter much to me. I could shoot the same match once a year and screw up differently every time.

And anyhow, you could take the same not to scale diagram and move some targets and props two feet and change the entire character of the stage.

great match! we finished on time. everything went smooth and not much stage malfunction. some dingbat from squad 3 had a "Negligence Discharge" at Comfort Inn the night before the match. apparently the dry fire became "live" fire. bullet went through a couple of rooms. good thing no one was hurt. I gotta remember next year to call the front desk to see if this guy has a reservation before I place mine.

Edited by Agent #1911

I thought it was a good match. I did about my usual mediocre level of performance.

But, say, Kevin; why was Stage 12 dropped from the aggregate?

Not that I am complaining, it was my worst stage of the day, but it would be interesting to know what spoiled it for everybody.

Jim,

The barrels that obscured the swinger except when it came out on the right were not in the same location when the SOs shot the stage on Friday. Apparently some of the Friday shooters had an available head shot to the left of the barrels when the swinger was at that end of it's movement and some shot it that way. On Saturday that option was not available as the barrels were in a different location. This was not noticed until after lunch on Saturday, too late to be corrected. --Lin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim,

On Friday due to the ground being soggy from the rain and the high wind, a wall and a couple of barrels blew down. Apparently when the SO's reset the stage, the barrels were not stacked back correctly and 1 squad of SO's had a shot on a swinger on the left and right side of the wall.

None of the stages were recycled, although elements are used and improved upon. For example, we did a "bedroom stage" in 2012, but this year's version was very different with brand new pneumatic movers and a new layout. Stages tend to look the same on paper anyway.

Edited by Kevin Collins

Great match Kevin! Everything seemed to run smoothly in our squad! Friday night dinner, and Saturday lunch was great! I look forward to next years match!

My only complaint was on the two car stages. Both were very similar in movements from the car while exiting. They were designed where you had to exit, and turn too your right back toward the car to keep from sweeping the other shooters. I had a fellow very experianced shooter local to me get DQ'd on his last stage for exiting, and rotating to the left. We had 3 veteran shooters nearly do the same thing when we shot these stages. I would have preferred shooting these two stages from outside the car first, then retreating to the car to finish the stage. This would have kept the shooters from sweeping the crowd if they turned the wrong way.

Well I just got this in the mail..Hopefully somebody else will pick it up.. Crap I was on a roll..I just cant believe Ernie beat me out of High Senior...

Everyone,

Thanks for participating in “The Alabama 2014 IDPA State Championship”. Hopefully, everyone enjoyed the match and the “Pig Picken” This was our sixth year hosting the State match. The South Alabama Pig Picken has been a part of the match every year. (Started by Jerry Burch) Per your request, we did buy a larger pig…

I hope the Match met your expectations for a State level match.

We brought back 8 stages from our past 5 state matches. These stages were voted by shooters to be fun and challenging. I made some changes to these stages to improve the quality of the stages. By the use of pneumatic actuators, electric eyes and PLC’s to control the Targets. These type targets add little more reality to self-defense scenarios. Plus require no reset or some very minor reset. This makes the stage fun fast and smooth. Less work for the SO’s.

We did drop stage 12, I failed to let every, know the reason. We had some wind that blew over some barrels. Barrels were being used to block a target, so it could only be shot from one side. I personally think this would not have changed anyone score on the stage. But this is competition so every stage must be the same for every shooter. Dropping it was the right thing to do. This is the good thing about hosting a 12 stage match. If you need to drop one you still have 11 stages.

I did say that this was my 6th and final state match. I have had so much support from everyone over the last 6 years from CAGC, members, Staff, set-up crew, SO’s, all the scoring staff, Jane from Beach Bunny software, competitors and sponsors. Thanks to everyone for making this match a success. I can be contacted anytime 334-324-3257 or deadidave43@gmail.com

Respectfully,

David Rawlinson Match Director

“The Alabama 2009-2014 IDPA State Championship”.