Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FireClean on Gas Pistons

77Litespeed

I have two Versa Maxes (Maxi?) and I am now shooting them more often than my rifle or pistol. I call it the new .22, since 12ga is readily available.

Cleaning them is not a big deal except for the gas pistons. These things get pretty caked up and it takes a good bit time to get them cleaned back up.

Does anyone have experience using FireClean on the gas pistons? Does it cut down on cleaning time, and does it interfere with the gun functioning? I've heard that these parts should not be oiled, even though I have been lightly lubing them.

Thanks!

Running a different gas gun, JM930, and always lube piston. No issues. Switched to Fireclean for easier cleaning. Only a hundred rounds, so too soon to tell if its better than other lubes, but figure metal to metal contact needs some lube to minimize wear

Running a different gas gun, JM930, and always lube piston. No issues. Switched to Fireclean for easier cleaning. Only a hundred rounds, so too soon to tell if its better than other lubes, but figure metal to metal contact needs some lube to minimize wear

This is something I'd like to see others weigh in on, maybe Benny, Kurt, etc.

I believe the VM says to not lube at all, and carbon itself will provide some amount of lubrication. Over-lubing a gas piston/rings/cylinder just seems likely to trap more powder 'by-product' and crap, leading to shortening time before cleaning is 'required.' I've gone back and forth on lubes on my JM, trying some dry lubes as well (gas system only, the action gets Slip2K).

The VM pistons and chambers are supposed to be run dry. It can be an expensive mistake to lube them.

That's what I thought.

What's the possible damage in lubing them, other than shorter time to fouling/possible cycling issues?

Pumping fluid creates more mechanical pressure than gas. Same issue as if you have too much lube in the bore. If you stretch out the cylinder, it will never function right. I know there have been some cracked cylinders and at least 2 that were run wet that got buldged. Unlikely with just a little oil, but don't push your luck.

I run the Vmax pistons dry. They are similar in concept to the M14 piston which is also run dry.

You know what a popular upgrade for the m14 is? A TiN coated piston.

Someone should start making them for the Vmax. I dont think it would be of any value but people would probably buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

You shouldn't have to clean the pistons on the VERSA Max very often, maybe never. If you are seeing fouling that binds them up then you have something abnormal going on. The only thing I've seen bog them down is wad material skived by the gas ports. That issue was corrected during development and I've never heard of it being a problem in the field. Given the pressures and temperature of gas they see, they do pretty much clean themselves out and you should only be seeing dry, powdery carbon residue. I've observed tests where 5k and 10k rounds were fired between cleanings and nothing of consequence built up.

I would not be afraid to oil them either. I don't believe it can hurt and probably gets burned off quickly. With all due respect to Mark, I would have to see more evidence before I believe excessive lube resulted in bulged or cracked gas blocks.