Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newb Question, Accuracy of scales/powder measures

G17

ball powders fills the powder measure void like marbles, disc and flake get a little harder and extruded stick like rifle powders charges usually have to be individually weighed

I load on a 550 and have some IMR 4756 which is extruded and I use to make 9 minor. Do those of you that load extruded (if any) for handgun individually weigh? I only have it because I could not find any other at the time. I do check the measure about every 25 rounds because you hear the measure cutting the powder and grinding and I just want to make sure.

I use my scales to verify that I have set the measure properly. Other than that I don't weigh any powder, any time. One tick I have is that if I weigh a powder charge it always goes back into the hopper, never into a case.

you really should weigh periodically if you are using a stock Dillon measure setup. I found that my knob moved ever so slightly with use. It was enough to drift .1 grain over a moderate length session. Left unchecked it could potentially keep right on turning. I put a UniqueTek unit in and it does not move with use so far. I still check weigh every once in awhile.

Are these powder dispensers way more consistent than something like the RCBS Uniflow?

I've never used one but I assume they are accurate. The problem for me is that they take 10-25 seconds to throw a charge. That would drive me nuts.

I use my scales to verify that I have set the measure properly. Other than that I don't weigh any powder, any time. One tick I have is that if I weigh a powder charge it always goes back into the hopper, never into a case.
you really should weigh periodically if you are using a stock Dillon measure setup. I found that my knob moved ever so slightly with use. It was enough to drift .1 grain over a moderate length session. Left unchecked it could potentially keep right on turning. I put a UniqueTek unit in and it does not move with use so far. I still check weigh every once in awhile.

Yeah, I don't know anything about Dillon measures. I trust my Harrell measure but everybody should verify that their equipment is working properly.

Are these powder dispensers way more consistent than something like the RCBS Uniflow?

Not really. The Hornady PM and Uniflow are very similar.

There are things you can do to ensure better consistency, like ensuring you clean them completely when new, waxing or polishing the funnel, using a powder baffle, reducing static build up, etc.

You'll find the Hornady PM quite good as well, while you'll also find more Hornady PMs sitting on Dillon presses than vice versa.

Having said that, either will get you to +/- .1gr or better when working properly and using a powder that measures decently (mainly ball/spherical powders, but see fun discussion above RE: WST :) )

That doesn't negate the need for a decent scale; most of us avoid any of the cheapie digitals. Personally, I'd go with the RCBS 505, or if you want digital, the GemPro 250.

What were you doing with the Windex?

My digital is pretty good about holding a zero, but sometimes it will drift off. I'll reset it and it will still drift off. I tried to research the problem and someone recommended spraying a bit of windex on a towel and lightly wiping the scale down. (maybe something do with static electricity or something, idk, not quite sure) Anyways i found it immediately worked. Anytime it starts to drift i wipe it down and my scale is good to go for the rest of my session.

It's kind of funny because i was at publix getting groceries and the lady ringing me up was having trouble getting the scale to weight my blueberries. She pulled some windex out sprayed it down and it was good to go. So i guess there must be something to it.

After reading all of this i'm very excited to get a powder measure and get away from the digi.

I load on a single stage press and use the Lee auto disk powder measure. As long as you can work with the amount of powder it throws per opening or modify an opening to get the charge you want I have found it to be extremely accurate. I recently was working up loads using e3 @ 3.9g per charge. I measured the 1st, 11th, 22nd, 33rd, 44th, 55th, 66th, 77th, 88th, and 99th charge and every one of them was spot on at 3.9g. The way I measured was to take the piece of brass and put it on the digital scale, zero it with the brass on it. Once that was done I'd load the powder and measure again.

Big blue makes great equipment, without question, I've owned and/or loaded on the SDB, 550, and 650 and they all put out great ammo but guess what so does my single stage. It just doesn't do it as fast as those presses do. At this stage in the game I'd rather spend $500+ on ammo components than another press.

If you are wondering about a digital scale being accurate ... One good way to check it for consistency is to place a wieght in the center of the scale and then place it on each corner (one at a time) ... Did you get the same reading at all five locations??? Just a quick little check ...

G17

As others have said, volumetric measures work well. I started in a single stage too. I used (and still have) a Redding manual powder measure.

Now I load in blue machines and all is well. Stick powders like Varget are a little tricky but most everything else performs well in my machines