Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SPS or BUL ?!?

Rosshooting

STI and SV are one of the sweetest pistols there is so if can cough it up ide suggest you get those ...but SPS are also hard to beat for the money and quality have a good smith build you an SPS all will fall into place..goodluck ;)

STI and SV are one of the sweetest pistols there is so if can cough it up ide suggest you get those ...but SPS are also hard to beat for the money and quality have a good smith build you an SPS all will fall into place..goodluck ;)

I definitely agree with you about SVI and STI but sadly there is no a dealer for these beauties in my country. It will be very difficult to me to order one from the U.S. :(

it is really a personal preference. BULS are fine. They are light guns however. You have to contend with a little bit more muzzle flip compared with a heavy dust cover. I would try both side by side if there one available. I did switch to an SVI since a friend of mine sold his to me for a very good price with 6 mags. The thing I noticed about the heavy dust cover guns, I can track the sights a little better.

And what about BUL, SPS and Tanfoglio Limited Custom? Which one? :huh:

As from Tanfoglio, from what I see around here in Poland (some of my buddys own or owned Tanfoglios including Limited Custom HC), I wouldn't advice that, if you want something that actually works, not only look beautifull. Italian sports guns are like italian supercars: when they works, they are great. The key is word "when" - this doesn't happen to often. Unless you have acces to one specialy made to work, with constant service avaiable. I don't expect Tanfoglios sent to Bulgaria to be any better that ones avaiable in Poland (some people here suspect that we in Central/Eastern Europe get second or third quality grade from Tanfoglio, as some guns are inoperable straight from the box). On other hand Bul after some initial period of "bedding in" should work fine. On SPS - I'm also interested in opinions, as I'm considering one.

For now I sold bouth my italian supercars ;) I shot HK and drive BMW - may shoot and ride slower, but I do finish matches and travels - this introduces less stress into my life :rolleyes:

I can't really relate first hand about Limited Custom .40" cal Tanfoglio.

Most of my knowledge comes from what forummember Julien Boit told me once (I guess his source was EG himself), and several teammates that have had experience with it, thus take my words for what they are, with a grain of salt.

The main problem with this gun is that sometimes the mag catch is poorly located. This leads to having the mag at a wrong height (usually low) to consistently and correctly presenting the round to the chamber.

What happens is that with the top round sitting lower, the continous stripping process slightly widens the feed lips of the mags, giving all possible feeding problems. Usually all competitors, using this gun, blame the low quality of the mags, but in reality, if you have a gunsmith weld a bit (I've been told 1mm) the mag catch in the area it connects the mag slot, it will raise the mag of the correct amount, and the feeding problems should be solved.

Apart from that, all Limited Custom users are very pleased by the ergonomy of its grip, and by the fact that, having the slide/frame rails inverted when compared to a common 1911 gun (I mean rails on the frame are inwards, and rails on the slide are outwards) this leads to a lower bore axis on the hand, thus less perceived recoil.

Sky, true. Until october 2003 Tanfoglio delivered the Limited Custom HC's with a small-notched magcatch. This worked for other calibers, but the .40 was very difficult to get working consistently. Many strange fixes to this pistol was introduced by a number of good and not so good gunsmiths all over to get it to work, but the final solution was to make the magcatch-notch which holds the magazine bigger, to push the magazine 1-1,5mm higher in the frame.

I just sold mine, awaiting a new one - and they sure works :-). I didnt have a single feeding problem after installing the new magcatch, and the one who bought it from me is also very happy with it.

Just make sure you get a gun produced in 2004, or if you get an older one - mail info@tanfoglio.it and ask for a new magcatch. It took 1 week for me (in Norway) after I mailed - until the new magcatch arrived in my mailbox.

I shoot both 1911's and Tanfoglio's and I love both kinds.

- Mostly Tanfoglio in matches - I like It's grip just alittle better, and I seem to hit better with it - and its easy to get a good trigger with original parts.

It's much cheaper than shooting 1911's - you dont have many options, but the ones you have is designed and tested purely for IPSC (USPSA) shooting. It either works for you or not. Try one :-)

I have heard that the SPS costs a good bit less than the overpriced STI/SVI guns. True? If so are they available in the US?

I think it was mentioned somewhere here that SPS is infringing on some patents for STI/SVI. Hence, illegal for sale there in the US.