Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire targets for IDPA

chuck s

I know that mini targets are available to print online, however, if you are serious about improving your scores in IDPA, dry fire is a must, and Ben Stoeger is selling a great little package for home dry fire at the ben stoeger pro shop. The price is right, and they will allow you to set up a nice dry fire course in your home.

What are you dry firing at John?

full size tgts

3x5 cards

8 inch paper plates

door knobs

light switch covers

framed pictures hanging on a wall, you name it I probably shot it in dryfire.

and Ben stoegers reduced size tgts

Edited by juan

What are you dry firing at John?

full size tgts

3x5 cards

8 inch paper plates

door knobs

light switch covers

framed pictures hanging on a wall, you name it I probably shot it in dryfire.

and Ben stoegers reduced size tgts

Yea I shoot up everything in the house. Spots on the wall (by Hu Flung Poo), Dart Board, etc. Ben's targets are good for setting up outside stapled to stakes that I can hammer in the ground. The reduced size means I can set up all kinds of crazy scenarios without needing much space. And they look like actual targets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IMO if you shoot at random stuff randomly you might have trouble improving much other than your skill in acquiring targets. If you need to do it to not get bored to death with dry fire it could be worth it.

I shoot at IDPA targets at IDPA matches so I like to dry fire on those. Stoeger ones, naturally.

• 2 weeks later...

I like dry firing at smaller objects, paying particular attention to the stability of my from site on the tgt. To my eye, the smaller the dry fire tgt (door knob, handrail knob, blue power button on my T.V., etc), the easier it is for me to pickup on any shooter induced movement of the site picture. For my draw, dry fire practice, I switch to an IDPA tgt. to work on reducing time from holster to center tgt - click. I video my sessions and run the times as I watch the video.

I picked up some from Stoeger. They were inexpensive to purchase an included free shipping. It could make my own but they wouldn't look nearly as nice. I would gladly order again.

I picked up some from Stoeger. They were inexpensive to purchase an included free shipping. It could make my own but they wouldn't look nearly as nice. I would gladly order again.

Me too.

I picked up a piece of cardboard, a pair of scissors, and cut out little IDPA targets to about the same scale I would see over my sights on a match target at 15 yards. Taped a few of them up around the house. They worked fine. And, saved me from hauling that cardboard out to the burn barrel behind the house. Didn't take much effort and didn't cost me any money. I kinda thought that was a 'win - win'.