Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 grain HAP vs MG

Pasley

I just got a case of 115 grain Montana Gold JHPs. Have been using the Hornady HAP bullet. I was hoping that the same load would work with both but with very limited preliminary testing the MG seems to be a good bit less accurate.

I haven't had a chance yet to tweak the load yet.

I'm not complaining about the MG bullets, just wondered if anybody else has direct experience comparing these two bullets.

Load is 4.8 grains N340 and shooting a G17.

I find that the MG's give me slightly less velocity and so I load them a little hotter than the HAP's. Don't have my data in front of me but I think it was to 5.2 or 5.4 of N340 with the 115's in my G17.

Following this with great interest. Zero bullets have been very hard to get. Considering a switch to MG 115 for 9mm and 125 for 38 special. Accurate bullets make or break 50 yard shooting, so that I my standard. I have heard mixed reviews on MG.

John - When I can get Zeros to shoot under 2 inches, the MG don't usually come close to that. Most times they barely hold the X-ring (Bianchi). They're fine for short range <=25, but not more than that.

There was a gun one of the guys had which absolutely loved the MG. It shot them really well. That gun was the exception, and I havent seen any others shoot them that well.

Can't speak to absolute accuracy @ 50 yards in 9mm as at that distance I'm usually just shooting at 6-8" steel plates and don't have any problems. At 25 yards the biggest factor is my ability to stay consistent versus any of the equipment or components.

With my 24" lever action in 357 and MG 158's I can easily keep my shots within 2" at 50 yards (shooting off-hand).

For my use (I shoot 9, 357, 44 & 45) I like the MG's due to their 1) being jacketed instead of plated or all lead; and 2) low-cost when purchased by the case.

Edited by techj

Following this with great interest. Zero bullets have been very hard to get. Considering a switch to MG 115 for 9mm and 125 for 38 special. Accurate bullets make or break 50 yard shooting, so that I my standard. I have heard mixed reviews on MG.

John - When I can get Zeros to shoot under 2 inches, the MG don't usually come close to that. Most times they barely hold the X-ring (Bianchi). They're fine for short range <=25, but not more than that.

There was a gun one of the guys had which absolutely loved the MG. It shot them really well. That gun was the exception, and I havent seen any others shoot them that well.

Thanks Jeremy. That settles it for me. I will keep buying Zero and HAP when I can find them. Practicing with inaccurate bullets is false economy; really bad for self-image and conscious confidence in shot process.

Hope all remains well for you and everyone at Pioneer.

HAP's are almost always more accurate from my experience. Keep in mind HAP's are .356" dia. that's .001" larger than most commercial 9mm bullets including the MG's. My Glocks (17 & 34) are more accurate with fat bullets whether it's plated or jacketed. My Springfield XD will shoot the MG's better than the Glocks but still groups better with HAP's.

If you're shooting minor and were just making it, you should re-chrono with the MG's as you will probably need a couple tenths more to match the velocity. :cheers:

In My Bianchi loads, the MG and XTPs shoot the same out to 35 yards. The same load that does 1.5 in at 50 yards does 3-4 yards at 50. The MG bullets are a good value for the money, but at farther distance the HAPS are much better made....

DougC

I've used cases of MG 115 JHP and I can hit dimes off a bench at 18 yards. Accuracy is 99% barrel. For example, KKM designs their 9mm for 115 bullets. Why, because they feel most of their customers will use 115 off the shelf ammo. It is the twist rate of the barrel that affects accuracy of a particular bullet.

I have found you need a bit more powder to achieve the same FPS with any MG bullet.

The reason KKM sets their barrels up for 115 grain bullets is due to the accuracy potential of the 115jhp. 115JHP at 1150-1180 gives best accuracy at 50 yards. Schuemann and KKM started out together, and the 1x32 and now 1x24 twist rate gives best accuracy for those that want to reload or buy custom ammo for their guns.

DougC

Never had any accuracy issues with MGs. Been as good as any other JHP I have tested.

4.8gn N330 has been very accurate, with both 115gn JHP Hornady and Nosler--haven't run any MGs with it though (for standard 9x19s, I find 121-125gn bullets are usually more accurate).

Edited by noylj

• 1 month later...

After having a chance to work with these bullets some more I will say that I'm happy with them. They are not quite as accurate as the HAP but more accurate than the Hornady FMJ, out of my pistol.

The full case price makes them very attractive.