Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Small Frame Gen3 vs Gen4 Magazine/Slide Release - Grip Shift ; R

SPDGG

* * * * Focusing strictly on Grip Ergo: Reach; Mag/Slide Release from Gen3 to Gen4 * * * *

Hello,
Apologize in advance if this has been covered. I did search for this here as well as Google. Couldn't find anyone that had both & posted or sold off one Gen for another.

Interested if anyone owns both the Gen 3 & Gen 4 frames in the same size, 19/23; 17/22; 34/35, & has compared both Gen(s) for reload speed.
- Is there a noticeable difference between the two or do you find them equal?

* Currently I have/use Glock Gen3 small frames with Ext. Vicker's Tactical Mag Catch/Releases.
Been debating if I should sell off my Gen3 Glocks & buy Gen4 replacements.
Seems the Gen4's larger Mag release & the slight grip reduction using No back-straps would help with hand/finger placement during reloads.
Visually the Gen4 mag release size seems it would help with the larger engagement area, I would swap out & use Glock OE Extended or Vicker Tactical Gen4 Mag Releases.

* I have Medium size hands & am trying to reduce the amount of RH grip shift I currently have to do to firmly press the Gen3 release & press down on the Slide release.
I do not have issues performing a reload, but I'll take any ergo advantage smile.png

Appreciate any feedback/input.

Have a great one

I went to the Gen4 for all the reasons you mentioned.

I belive the Vickers mag release in USPSA production is of questionable legality since it's not an OEM part...

I did buy the OEM extended mag release for my Gen4.

One factor to think about is the change in trigger feel from Gen3 to Gen4. Gen3's are nicer pretty much no matter what you do.

But on that account I'm an "indian not the arrow" kind of guy. I just need a gun that fits.

If you have the cash I'd give it a try. If you don't, don't.

I like my Gen4 34 better than my Gen3 17, so I say go for it. Keep in mind that even though the release is larger, the extended OEM part for Gen 4 doesn't stick out as far as the extended Gen 3 release. That doesn't matter to me since I'm running the Gen 4 with no backstrap.

Agree with everyone above. Love the gen 4 grip, I have medium size hands with short fingers, I can release the stock gen 4 17 mag release faster and without shifting my grip (no backstrap). On the gen 3, I have the extended mag release and I don't have to shift my grip either to release but the gen 4 positioning feels much more natural and faster. With the stock gen 4 17 mag release I don't feel I need the extended. With the stock gen 4, no worries about bumping the mag release with a table start. With the extended gen 3 I have to be careful with table starts.

Slide release is equal with both since I release the slide with my weak hand thumb and stock release. I bump the extended release on both gen 3 and 4's.