Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45acp to .40 S&W?

plattj1

A really good 1911 smith advised me that it would be cheaper to just buy a 1911 in .40 than buy a new top end and get it fitted (barrel to the slide & bushing and slide to frame).

I don't think that's true. I'm building a 40 slide for my 1911 and I priced it out at $600 without sights or springs (since I have spares). That's for a Caspian stainless slide with sight cuts already and a pre-fit Nowlin barrel. I will have to do any slide/frame and bushing/slide fitting myself but I could also send the parts to a gunsmiths for $200. Add the cost of sights and you're looking at $900 for a slide that uses your existing frame with any and all goodies/work you've put into it.

Compare that to a Dawson CRP Trojan at $1235 and add the price of a trigger job, plus FFL fees. Seems like the slide is $400-$500 cheaper. Granted, you then have two guns instead of one, but personally I can only shoot one gun at a time.

Jon- that's interesting. I guess I should have asked more questions when he said that. Too late now I guess, because I went Tanfoglio for .40 S&W. I'm loading to 10mm OALs and using 10mm mags. With only a recoil spring change, I can switch from minor power factor, to major pf and even stiff 10mm loads and with cheap brass. I bought both a steel framed Match for paper and a polymer framed "full size" for carry for a couple of hundred dollars less than a Dawson CRP Trojan. I still love the 1911 platform in .45 ACP (I haven't decided on a 9mm yet).

A really good 1911 smith advised me that it would be cheaper to just buy a 1911 in .40 than buy a new top end and get it fitted (barrel to the slide & bushing and slide to frame).

I don't think that's true. I'm building a 40 slide for my 1911 and I priced it out at $600 without sights or springs (since I have spares). That's for a Caspian stainless slide with sight cuts already and a pre-fit Nowlin barrel. I will have to do any slide/frame and bushing/slide fitting myself but I could also send the parts to a gunsmiths for $200. Add the cost of sights and you're looking at $900 for a slide that uses your existing frame with any and all goodies/work you've put into it.

Compare that to a Dawson CRP Trojan at $1235 and add the price of a trigger job, plus FFL fees. Seems like the slide is $400-$500 cheaper. Granted, you then have two guns instead of one, but personally I can only shoot one gun at a time.

Jon- that's interesting. I guess I should have asked more questions when he said that. Too late now I guess, because I went Tanfoglio for .40 S&W. I'm loading to 10mm OALs and using 10mm mags. With only a recoil spring change, I can switch from minor power factor, to major pf and even stiff 10mm loads and with cheap brass. I bought both a steel framed Match for paper and a polymer framed "full size" for carry for a couple of hundred dollars less than a Dawson CRP Trojan. I still love the 1911 platform in .45 ACP (I haven't decided on a 9mm yet).

Heresy! You speak blasphemy against your own forum name! :roflol:

In all seriousness, sounds like a good choice. My analysis above assumes you're trying to stay SSTK legal.

Heresy! You speak blasphemy against your own forum name! :roflol:

In all seriousness, sounds like a good choice. My analysis above assumes you're trying to stay SSTK legal.

Is it heresy? John Moses started the Browning Hi-Power design before he died. And the CZ-75s and the Tanfoglios appear to be derivations of that JMB design. But, I don't claim to be an expert, at least not on this forum.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Dillion 550 for the 450 range, Rock Island 10mm in the 595 range. Here is a scenario. The 40 cal is shot and you are a hair off and score a clean C hit, but with the 45 you just touched the line and scored the A hit. Round count in the mags are the same and you are shooting a 180 in the 40 and a 185 in the 45. Physics at play, same bullet weight ? 45 is normally more accurate round ?

troupe- You and the others have some very good points and might be perfect for the Original Poster. For me, I love the .45 ACP round, but usually shoot .40 because I spent a few minutes every three months for several years picking up truly once fired .40 brass, so I'm kind of locked into the .40. Free brass lets me spend more on bullets and in this economy, every little bit helps.

• 1 month later...

I've done the conversion a couple of times. You'll need a complete. 40 upper which will run $700-800 depending on what parts and extra tools you'll have to buy. You'll need to thin the .45 ejector to be able it run the .40 slide on the .45 frame. You can also replace the ejector. If you like to tinker it's a fun project, but as others have said you'd likely be happier selling the .45 and buying the new 40.

I'm going to be doing this with a Norinco I just bought. In the long run it would probably be cheaper just to buy a new gun but I like to tinker and will do pretty much all of my own gunsmithing.

-Jake