Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gravitas Tactical 1911

GregJ

Thought I would post a few pics to show off my GTP 1911. I got it early last season, and it has been absolutely flawless all last year. I can honestly say it has not hiccupped once on any of my reloads.

These guys build great guns, and are in the Northern Va area. This thing has all the top shelf goodies.

If you are in the area, and are interested, I strongly recommend you check them out.

www.gravitastactical.com

post-31828-0-59783900-1391970054_thumb.j

post-31828-0-83986000-1391970069_thumb.j

post-31828-0-98019000-1391970081_thumb.j

post-31828-0-54512300-1391970110_thumb.j

I've not owned a Les, or an STI, but I have owned several Kimbers. I know the personal attention that goes into each one of these, and could easily put them at the same level of a Wilson or Nighthawk. These are built as duty level guns, that I compete with. The list of all the components are on their web page. Anyway, it works quite nicely for me and many others that have bought them.

yeah sorry, not knocking em, just legitimately curious. I'm in the hunt for my personal ultimate do-all 1911 right now, and I'm just wondering what makes these guys worth it. Haven't heard much, but always up for something new.

I've owned a couple of kimbers, SA, one colt, a bunch of random RIAs and stuff, and currently rocking a Baer and custom built 2011. I get the appeal of hand fit and good guts, just wondering why to go with Gravitas over an Alchemy, or the like.

yeah sorry, not knocking em, just legitimately curious. I'm in the hunt for my personal ultimate do-all 1911 right now, and I'm just wondering what makes these guys worth it. Haven't heard much, but always up for something new.

I've owned a couple of kimbers, SA, one colt, a bunch of random RIAs and stuff, and currently rocking a Baer and custom built 2011. I get the appeal of hand fit and good guts, just wondering why to go with Gravitas over an Alchemy, or the like.

I agree, you asked a legitimate question. If you don't ask you won't know.

The OP might provide more insight, but I would say that Gravitas guns are purpose built and practical. Whereas many high end customs have more features that just add "bling". My 2 cents......

I'm far from being a 1911 guru, but agree with Oak Hill, in that they are purpose built and practical, and they work - period. I have yet to have a malfunction that wasn't operator induced (e.g. not completely seating mag on reload). I can not say the same for my Kimber Gold Match. As I stated earlier, the intent from GT was to build a duty level firearm, that anyone carrying one would have confidence in. From my experience, and others I've seen that are shooting them, I think they've hit the mark pretty well.

The finish is Cerakote. However, GT has since switched to W.E. Birdsong Black-T, which completely eliminates the possibility of corrosion. Even if the black finish shows wear through to what appears to be white metal, the gun will still be protected. So much so, if it ever did rust, which it wont, they will take care of it at no charge, that's how confident they are in the finish. Additionally, they will be refinishing mine (if I ever stop shooting it long enough to let them have it) at no cost, because they want me to have what they feel is a better finish even though they changed after I purchased it.

:cheers:

nice looking gun for sure! just wondering what makes it worth the $2500 though? Seems like anSTI or Les Baer with some fancy coating would get you the same goodies and put like $800 back in your pocket.

When you take a look at the parts list, you start seeing things like Bar-sto barrels, Black-T finish, and as many barstock parts as you can get, you are getting a pistol that is as good or possibly better than a Wilson or Nighthawk. I know a guy that wore the mag release out on his Wilson pistol...that will not happen with the barstock parts on the Gravitas pistols. Compared to a Wilson, these can save you hundreds of $. Great pistols and a great company!

I have to agree with Greg. I shoot a Gravitas Tactical 1911 in 9mm. I shoot with Greg and the owners of the company at most of the matches, and anyone who would like to try it out just get with me. I am by no means a shooter who sets the world on fire, but I have so much fun shooting a great pistol with these great guys. I've been told 9mm 1911's can be finicky,but the only hiccups I've had with this gun have been operator induced, usually not seating a mag. These guys have a true love for the sport, are always willing to help, and produce a fantastic pistol. I give them two snaps with a twist.