Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P SPORT. what's needed to make 3 gun ready

tnorman

I just entered the world of the black rifle with a mp sport. I picked it up for 600 out the door. I want to try some local three gun matches. What should I consider upgrading. I've already bought a JP yellow spring kit which dropped the trigger pull to about 3.8 lbs. What if anything would be recommended to make it ready

I wold say cut the hook off the hammer making it a speed hammer ie better reliability and maybe add a trigger adjuster grip screw which is cheap andakes the trigger pretty decent with the jp springs and speed hammer mod. Throw a Miculek comp on it and run it

My first AR was the very same. If yours is like mine was, then it is actually very accurate. I ran a Nordic Corvette compensator on mine. Turned it into a pussycat on the recoil front. I was very impressed. Actually I was shocked at how good it was. Made for spectacular muzzle flash with some ammo (not all), however. Always good for a laugh at the indoor range! I called it my Little Dragon. You could try the 223 comp at Carbon Arms too. That's on my current rifle and similarly effective.

I did the same trigger spring replacement also. That stock trigger wasn't bad at all and the JP upgrade was cheap and effective. Don't do anything else with the trigger except use the heck out of it.

Add the comp of choice, then stick your optic of choice on top (Burris MTAC 1-4x, EOtech, Aimpoint, or Vortex PST 1-4x, among so many others). Go to matches, get practice time, feed it decent ammo, and have yourself some fun. Do NOT over think this. Just run it in a fairly stock configuration with only reversible modifications, like you have done so far and most of the recommendations have been (incl mine). Don't go cutting anything just yet. Don't make any irreversible changes at this stage, IMHO.

[Edit: try out grips at matches and pick one you like. That's an easy change. I don't like the angle or thinness on stock AR15 grips.]

While at matches, see what other people have. Ask to look at the gear up close. Some people might even let you borrow their rifle for a stage to try the tricked out stuff. I know I would, and I have from others kindness. 3-gunners are super nice people and will share their precious "fun tools" frequently.

Welcome to the fun.

PS--I'm encouraging reversible changes because at some point you may get a dedicated competition rifle and might like to re-purpose the M&P15 Sport to a different use. Some competition mods are not as good for defense or hunting, for example. Go slow. The ammo will cost you plenty enough!

I have some vendor preferences on ammo, etc. PM me if you want my opinions. Or not, either way.

Edited by michael1778

Thanks guys. I haven't joined a club yet. Just shooting at the indoor range. Mine came with the smooth barrel it's not threaded for a comp. I figured if I really enjoyed it I could possibly put on a adjustable gas block if the recoil was keeping me from acquiring a quick second shot.

+1 on cutting off the hammer spur

With the yellow JP springs, I had light primer hits with the stock hammer, cut the spur off and the problem went away

For a non threaded barrel, you might look for a smith in your area that will thread it for you

Once you shoot a couple matches you will be hooked! Most everybody here is on the same track. You have a solid AR, just make sure it runs reliably and PRACTICE! Nearly everything I THOUGHT I wanted when I started ended up not being what I wanted. I wished I had waited until I actually competed and tried some other peoples gear before I started wasting money. Within 6 months you will have a much more informed opinion about what mods will help YOU. That will save you having the thousand-dollar box of take-off parts in your closet from buying what other people say works for them.

Just run it the way it is.

After a while you will know what to get, you will likely end up building a purpose built rifle for the game.

This is my favorite piece of advice so far. I think you're better off learning and making something a little more purpose built later. I'd want to recommend at least a comp but you keep mentioning you're shooting indoors and while I didn't think it was horrible, I don't think it would be pleasant for a long shooting session.

The speed hammer cut Definately helps with reliability and of you add a screw like the one in the link and it takes the pretravel out which sucks on a GI trigger and turns it into a pretty decent trigger with the jp springs. I wouldn't spend the money on an adj gas block as it dosent help much with a full weight system. Since the barrel isn't threaded that hurts a little as you can't throw a comp on which helps quite a bit in how the gun shoots.