Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas Block to Handguard ID Clearance

jlat32

New 3 gun upper build:

Nordic 18" .223 Wylde Barrel, med profile, no fluting

Syrac Ordnance Gas Block

Lancer LCR handguard (round, not octagon)

Rolling Thunder comp

The space between the top of the Syrac and the ID of the Lancer handguard seems tight. I can see daylight between them. I used a flexible piece of plastic as a feeler gage as my gages wouldn't fit under the handguard. I estimate the gap to be 0.025"-0.030". The nominal ID of the Lancer is 1.8" and the top of the Syrac is shown as 0.860" over bore, so the best possible gap with this configuration would be around 0.040". I read somewhere the recommended minimum gap was 1/16" (0.060") to account for the "whip" in the barrel during firing.

Is this gap too tight?

What is a reasonable minimum clearance?

If too tight, any recommended alternatives for adjustable gas blocks?

Cannot advise if this is too tight but if you decide you need more clearance, why not take a file and just take a little off the top of the gas block?

Cannot advise if this is too tight but if you decide you need more clearance, why not take a file and just take a little off the top of the gas block?

That was one option I was considering. Was hoping to have a target in mind for how much to remove. I was looking at the JP low profile adjustable and that would give me about 1/8" clearance. I like the locking detent on the Syrac, so I'm leaning towards breaking out the files. Thanks for the input.

I have been thinking about doing this to my railed JP gas block to fit it under an extended hand guard. For other reasons I won't be able to resell it, is there any reason to not do this?

• 2 weeks later...

Follow Up:

The Syrac was just too close for comfort, and I didn't think I could remove enough material from the top for adequate clearance. I ended up swapping it for a JP low profile adjustable gas block. I took some crappy pics that I'll try post later if any of them turned out halfway decent.

The JP has a lot more clearance. Probably around 1/8", but I haven't measured it yet.