Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use Wolff 4lb reduced striker spring?

msg73

I have a 13lb recoil spring for my 40 Pro and wanted to try a lighter striker spring to make sure the slide stays in battery. Has anyone tried a Wolff 4lb reduced power striker spring? If so, have you had issues with light primer strikes? Also, please state what type of primers you're using. Thanks

Not a direct answer, when I couldn't find reduced power MP45 springs, I read that you could use glock striker springs. I tried a Wolff 4lb glock striker spring in a 45, got occassional light strikes with CCI primers, running a stock 5.5 glock striker spring in the m&P45 now and runs 100% with CCI primers. Worth a try, I think the stock MP striker springs are lighter than the stock 5.5 glock spring.

Well, I ordered the 4lb Wolff spring and had some light primer strikes (about 1 out of 20) using CCI 550 primers. Needless to say, I put the stock striker spring back and haven't had any issues since.

I was using a light striker spring and a 13 or 14lb recoil spring. Started having light hits, at a match of course, got a Glock standard striker spring from shooter in squad and put it in. Then started having failures to go into battery. Got a stock Glock captured recoil spring from same guy, popped it off the Glock plastic rod and put it in. Has run 100% since then... Still running those same Glock springs... That was over 5k rounds ago and busts all primers... It did change my 1lb 8oz trigger to 1lb 10oz but I can deal with that;)

I don’t feel the striker spring has as big of an effect on trigger weight with the M&P as it does in a Glock. That being said my stock striker sets can use WSR primers but I would not count on them. When you look at the primers of fired rounds they resemble a 233 that was chambered in an AR but not fired, just a very small dimple in the middle. I would recommend sticking with the stock spring but if you insist on running a reduced striker spring the Glock spring does fit. I would strongly suggest federal primers if you use a reduced power spring. I do not believe that the hassle in doing that is worth the very small reduction in trigger weight on an M&P. WSP primers are my favorite but I’ve run CCI SPP without issues in my M&Ps. The WSP are a little softer and have a deeper indentation. First rule is you need your gun to go bang every time the trigger is pulled.

I wasn't using the reduced power striker spring to reduce the trigger pull weight. Rather, my intention was to ensure the slide stays in battery when cocked as the striker spring counters the lighter 13lb recoil spring. I didn't have any issues but wanted to try to see if it would work. I ended up back with the factory striker spring and the gun runs fine. Maybe I'll try it again if I can get my hands on some Fed primers. Thanks

I wasn't using the reduced power striker spring to reduce the trigger pull weight. Rather, my intention was to ensure the slide stays in battery when cocked as the striker spring counters the lighter 13lb recoil spring. I didn't have any issues but wanted to try to see if it would work. I ended up back with the factory striker spring and the gun runs fine. Maybe I'll try it again if I can get my hands on some Fed primers. Thanks

There's no way a factory striker spring will hold your gun out of battery. I run a lightened slide and a 13# recoil spring in my 40 Pro, with a factory striker spring.

For trigger pull... the portion of the trigger stroke that is opposed by the striker spring in an M&P is SO small, it makes no difference. It's a hold-over from the Glock trigger work. I'd never run a reduced spring in an M&P.

Jeff

I didn't have any out of battery issues with the stock striker and the 13lb ISMI recoil spring. However, the slide definitely had less tension when cocked. So, I was just playing around with the reduced power wolff spring to minimize any chances of that. Furthermore, I didn't want any potential accuracy issues with it not being locked up as long. Again, I didn't have any issues but was just trying some preventative measures. If I can get my hands on some Federal primers, I'd give the lightened spring another try. If I can get reliable ignition with the lightened striker spring, I'd probably stick with it unless it caused issues with something else

• 1 year later...

I orderded some wolf recoil springs that came with what was sopposed to be factory weight striker springs... They were noticeably shorter and reduced the trigger pull a noticeable amount. Though they are now in the middle of the dessert because I had a bunch of light strikes using Winchester primers. I threw every wolf spring I own away. I was not happy at all with that experience. Put the stock spring back in and every thing goes bang once again. I would stay away from lighter striker springs.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Wolff lower powered striker spring from SSS, I would have tried the Apex lower power spring but I didn't get it in my Apex flat faced kit. Apex competition striker spring out of stock on SSS. It was a 4 dollar spring and I just wanted to try it sense I was getting frame plug, non captured guide rod and flat 13lb spring.

I would not personally get the spring if you are not wanting light strikes. Had about 7-8 light strikes in around 70 rounds. The spring will lower your trigger pull 3/4 of a pound but its not worth the lack of reliability.