Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Cleaning

Chiefbart2k5

I am using 100% walnut. I clean the bowl, the separator cage and bin after ever use so that I am able to start fresh without any leftover residue. Each time I tumble, there is just as much dust as the last time. The dust never seems to subside.

If you can pick up a little corn cob and mix it in it may help. Tough to say though but it's worth a try. I find the walnut is good for really dirty stuff and the corn cob puts a good shine on the brass.

The next time I tumble, I will increase my NuFinish/Mineral Spirits mixture to two cap fulls instead of one and see how that goes. If dust is still highly present, then I will buy some corn cob media and blend that into the existing walnut mixture.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using 100% walnut. I clean the bowl, the separator cage and bin after ever use so that I am able to start fresh without any leftover residue. Each time I tumble, there is just as much dust as the last time. The dust never seems to subside.

If you can pick up a little corn cob and mix it in it may help. Tough to say though but it's worth a try. I find the walnut is good for really dirty stuff and the corn cob puts a good shine on the brass.

The next time I tumble, I will increase my NuFinish/Mineral Spirits mixture to two cap fulls instead of one and see how that goes. If dust is still highly present, then I will buy some corn cob media and blend that into the existing walnut mixture.

I don't think there is an optimum ratio of nu-finish or media that helps out with lead/brass dust. I've tried!

If it's put into the bowl, it's gonna stay in the bowl.

Your brass may be shinier with more nu-finish and corncobs, but once the media is dirtied up the dust is going to be floating around again.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^UGH..........UGH..........UGH..................Thanks for the info.

I don't think that my media is dirty (as in worn out) as I have only used the tumbler for six batch loads and using Walnut Media from Pet Smart. However, there is really a large amount of dust within the bowl and a dust cloud appears when using the separator

I used to pour the brass from the bowl to the bird cage. The dust cloud was so great that now I scoop the brass and media from the bowl and pour it into the bird cage separator to cut down on the dust clod..

Yup. Wet wash before.

It doesn't matter what's in the tumbler or how many dryer sheets you use or even how old the media is- if that crap is on/inside the brass, it's gonna get pulverized into that fine greyish-green toxic (nu-shine smelling!) dust that you're trying to mitigate.

Get the the majority of the gunk out of your brass before your toss it into the tumbler, and there won't be an excess of contaminants to turn into dust in the first place. It turns the WHOLE process of brass prep into a much cleaner operation. I'll try to get some pics of how nasty my gloves were before and after.

People don't like the idea of having to dry it out, but just stick it out in the sun and let it dry, or get a $10 oven from the thrift store. Dealing with a bucket of soapy water is infinitely better than breathing in clouds of range brass dust.

I don't know why it's not a more common practice, but it's one of those things that once you try it once, you'll never go back to doing it the old way.

I too did not want to do the wet wash cycle. After watching the video link that you provided earlier, I am convinced that is the key. Fortunately, I have enough polished tumbled brass standing by that I can wait for summer to do the wash and air dry outside.

Sounds like a pain and time consuming, but I really hate the dust cloud!

Thanks for the eye opener.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^UGH..........UGH..........UGH..................Thanks for the info.

I don't think that my media is dirty (as in worn out) as I have only used the tumbler for six batch loads and using Walnut Media from Pet Smart. However, there is really a large amount of dust within the bowl and a dust cloud appears when using the separator

I used to pour the brass from the bowl to the bird cage. The dust cloud was so great that now I scoop the brass and media from the bowl and pour it into the bird cage separator to cut down on the dust clod..

buy some lyman green corncob. it will last you a year+. it's low dust. there will be black crap stuck around the tumbler bowl/bottom of the tumbler. just leave it there. no need to clean if off. well maybe once a year. and typically I can clean it very well but running though a load of brand new plain coarse walnut shell. so you can keep your current walnut for that purpose.

the lyman media will solve your dust problem. and it cleans very well without needing to add nu finish, or spirits, or lemishine, or dryer sheets or whatever.

for $15 for a year of tumbling you can't go wrong. :)

Weird. I tried the Lyman green and still got the mini mushroom cloud when separating the brass from the media, and the brass itself still had a layer of lead/powder dust on it just like walnut. It does make the brass nice and shiny though.

the wet wash idea is a good one. though does add a bit of hasle.

another way I avoid the dust getting airborne when separating is using the lyman tumbler with the slotted lid. that lid has nice big slots that allow the media to flow through easily but keep the brass in the tumbler. I found a regular round bucket (I guess 5 gallon?) fits perfectly over the top of the tumbler. so after tumbling I put the bucket over the top (it basically seals against the middle of the tumbler bowl), pick up the tumbler/bucket, turn upside down and then shake side to side for about 30 seconds. any dust is controlled inside that sealed area. not so much as a little sparrows fart of dust escapes. then put it down on the floor (bucket side down this time), lift off the tumbler. sit a colander onto the bucket, poor the brass into the colander. at this point I give the colander a good shake to get rid of any remaining little pieces of media. all done and no mess.

the bucket costs me $2. the colander with nice slotted holes I think was about $3. the lyman tumbler came with the slotted lid.

There is seriously zero dust in this operation. :)

Weird. I tried the Lyman green and still got the mini mushroom cloud when separating the brass from the media, and the brass itself still had a layer of lead/powder dust on it just like walnut. It does make the brass nice and shiny though.

hmm, maybe my separating process is shielding me from the dust at separating. there's certainly no brass while it's tumbling. and I'd know about it as I tumble in the laundry and the tumbler has a slotted lid!

The Lyman 1200 is what I started out with and it's still going strong.

I also recommend a timer. Here's what I use --

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C009/

I bought one of these on Amazon works great. Done like 4 loads with my Lyman 1200 now using it. Set to 3 hours and walk away. Going to get some of these for my other electronic devices now.

That would work if you tumbled indoors. I tumble in my detached garage and I got real tired of having to get dressed at night to turn off the tumbler when I'd start a batch when I got home from work (especially when it was middle of winter up here in MI).

Now I can just start it up when I leave or get home and not worry it till the next day or days later.

That would work if you tumbled indoors. I tumble in my detached garage and I got real tired of having to get dressed at night to turn off the tumbler when I'd start a batch when I got home from work (especially when it was middle of winter up here in MI).

Now I can just start it up when I leave or get home and not worry it till the next day or days later.

Good point. My tumbler is in the garage so I can go shut it off in my jammies :)

buy some lyman green corncob. it will last you a year+. it's low dust. there will be black crap stuck around the tumbler bowl/bottom of the tumbler. just leave it there. no need to clean if off. well maybe once a year. and typically I can clean it very well but running though a load of brand new plain coarse walnut shell. so you can keep your current walnut for that purpose.

the lyman media will solve your dust problem. and it cleans very well without needing to add nu finish, or spirits, or lemishine, or dryer sheets or whatever.

for $15 for a year of tumbling you can't go wrong. :)

You said it Baron

And if you want to be even more of a cheap bastard (like me heh) then after a few cycles and the corn cob is getting pretty dark olive green with crap, then pile it into a stocking leg, tie off the top and wash with detergent - preferably in a laundry tub, looks like a huge mutant seaslug which might scare the kids lol - then when clean put on foil trays and into a LOW oven to dry.

Comes out like brand new clean corn cob.

Bought two packets of Lyman cob 4 years ago, never had to buy any more since. I call that WIN :)

So how do the corn cob and walnut clean the pockets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah corncob and walnut etc. basically any 'vibratory tumbler media' do a shit job of the primer pockets. case outside is spick and span. inside I'd rate as 80% clean or better. primer pockets just cleans some obvious chunks off. doesn't cause me any problems though.

Zhuk: i have a mate who used the same batch of lyman media for like 10 years+! I didn't post it as it sounds so improbable but it's true. he recently cleaned it by washing too. personally I just replace when it gets dirty. it still lasts a bloody long time!

I've bought the new Frankford wet tumbler and like it a lot so far. For my 9mm I ran the cases through once with just water, Dawn, and lemishine. This cleaned them real well so I wouldn't gum up my dies. I then deprimed and resized them before another pass through the tumbler with pins. The pins are a pain to separate but I've worked that out mostly. I know it's not necessary but the nice shiny brass makes me happy and the primer pockets are very clean. Also for anyone that's looking at wet tumbling, the Frankford tumbler will hold 30lbs according to the manual

• 2 weeks later...

I like this for my pin separation. Colander and a bowl filled halfway up the colander with warm rinse water. Stir it around with your Hand and with practice it will be ready for the oven in just a minute. Before the oven a quick roll around on a towel works nice to prevent spots and speed drying. usu6uqur.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by grouptherapy