Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Planning a new "long block" 2011 build, who should I be talkin

bluesman2a

Long-time-browser, first time poster, so please bear with me here.

I've always loved the 1911/STI/SVI's and decided this is the year to buy/build my first 2011. I've owned a lot of 1911's over the years. I've done a lot of reading here and elsewhere and my head is swimming. I'd like to get some recommendations from you guys who have TONS more experience than I do, on who I should be talking to/investigating for what I want to build. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Specifications:

High cap 9mm

Would prefer a metal grip, but polymer is an OK second.

Full length tac-rail dust cover

5" with a threaded barrel

I prefer the look of a bull barrel, but is a bushing more accurate?

stainless finish

unique cut on slide (I believe this is the correct term, where the slide and dust cover are the same length)

Other than this, I'm looking for a "no frills" gun. Not necessary to meet any sanctioning body's rules, this is just for me.

Essentially I am looking for the STI 5.0 tactical like this with a couple of custom tweaks.

Ideally I would like to build the whole thing myself, but being realistic that's probably too ambitious first time out of the gate. So I settled on the idea of a "long block" type of kit. By that, I mean the slide/grip/barrel fitment is handled by a pro who knows what he is doing, and the rest can be put together by a handy person like me who knows enough about guns to be quasi-competent.

I spoke to Bobby at Freedom Gunworks, and he seemed like a very nice gentleman. They have a kit like what I am looking for and are somewhat local to me.

I've also read good stuff about the Phoenix/Tritity products, and some about the Cheely stuff.

Last but not least I'm looking for somebody who can deliver in a reasonable timeframe (less than 4-6 months or more). I get the whole "custom gun" and wait time thing, but I'm just not willing to step into line for an SVI factory-built or the kind of 1+ year wait times that some businesses are touting.

Any suggestions, insights, or research resources would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like you've answered your own question. Bobby is probably your man. Semi local, timeframe, and metal grips would really limit you to him. If I was in your shoes that's where I would go. His guns look great, from what I've seen run good and his time frames seem reasonable compared to others I've seen on here. Also check out triangle shooting supply, not sure if they can offer a metal grip for you though.

My 3 gun 2011 started life as a "long block" purchased from Glenn at Lone Star Innovations. I could not be happier.

He has kept real busy building complete guns but mentioned to me last Fall that he was thinking about offering more "long block" kits for those of us that like to finish them off. And he can supply one that has all the specs you listed.

Bill

Thanks Bill...

Not sure if it belongs here, but for the folks who are doing the DIY long-block approach, what kind of resources did you use to do/learn on your first one? I'm trolling you-tube and the like and there's a lot of STUFF out there, but not much of it is quality. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Bill...

Not sure if it belongs here, but for the folks who are doing the DIY long-block approach, what kind of resources did you use to do/learn on your first one? I'm trolling you-tube and the like and there's a lot of STUFF out there, but not much of it is quality. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!

I was going to recommend Hallock's book on .45's but it is now out of print. That's the one that got me started.

Noticed they do sell "vintage" copies on Amazon for around $75. I like it, but not that much.

Bill

I am also having Glenn and Lone Star build up a double stack 1911 in 9mm for my 3 gun pistol and it will be very similar to what you have mentioned above (minus the threaded barrel). I am just getting the ball rolling with him but did have the chance to shoot a couple of .40s he built and was impressed. I am going to be using the Phoenix Trinity frame and aluminum dimpled grips.

Nick

Wow, Glenn must be a bust guy! Ha.

I too am waiting on a build from Lone Star. It will wear a Phoenix Trinity steel grip.

Other than SV, Trinity is really the only option for 4140, stainless, aluminum, and Ti grips, and thier grips and frames are absolutely top shelf. Brian stops at nothing to produce the best parts available.

Glenn and Brian are GREAT to work with, and PT and Lonestar have a close relationship. Give them a call and they will get you what you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update here:

I talked to Glenn at Lone Star, we had a GREAT conversation, and I thought he really understood what I wanted, asked insightful questions, and made suggestions a neophyte like myself appreciates.

I sent him the check, and now the waiting begins. I'm excited to see the product!