Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which bulk shotgun shells?

Ctbreitwieser

I shoot the Wally World stuff - either the Federal or Winchester bulk packs depending on what's in stock. Usually 7 1/2 or 8, 2 3/4", 3 dram. They all run great in my M2 and I've never had a problem. On the other hand, my friend shooting his 930 has trouble with the bulk stuff cycling the action. So I think it depends on the gun. Buy it - test it. The same is true for Royal Star low-recoil 2 3/4" slugs - run great and are accurate in my M2, but won't cycle his 930.

The Federal bulk stuff runs great for me but how do you tell what the shot is made from? I read that some clubs check for steel shot and I can't find documentation on the packaging to say what the cheep stuff shoots.

I shoot the Wally World stuff - either the Federal or Winchester bulk packs depending on what's in stock. Usually 7 1/2 or 8, 2 3/4", 3 dram. They all run great in my M2 and I've never had a problem. On the other hand, my friend shooting his 930 has trouble with the bulk stuff cycling the action. So I think it depends on the gun. Buy it - test it. The same is true for Royal Star low-recoil 2 3/4" slugs - run great and are accurate in my M2, but won't cycle his 930.

The Federal bulk stuff runs great for me but how do you tell what the shot is made from? I read that some clubs check for steel shot and I can't find documentation on the packaging to say what the cheep stuff shoots.

I think it has to do with hunting loads. Cheap stuff should use lead.

I've actually wondered about the Rios. Haven't heard of any feedback from them yet though. I may just give them a try.

Careful with RIOs. You want to try a box before you buy them in bulk. They will not run in either my Nova or my Versa. The hull and metal casing are so thin that they expand into the large extractor groove and lock up in the chamber. The RIO buck and slugs seem to run fine in my guns. Just not the bird shot.
That's interesting because I've run over 1000 of the rio game load 7-1/2 and 8 through my Vmax for training rounds in the past six months and never had a problem with them. At $55 a case they're hard to beat for training rounds. I also ran a couple boxes of rio 00buck through the Vmax yesterday with no issues. Edited by JPeel

My Stoeger doesn't really seem to care what I put in it, occasional problems with the low velocity Estates and the lighter Fiocchi slugs being the only ones not 100% reliable. My Rem 1100 will not go at all with the smooth hulled Winchester bulk stuff from wallyworld, but otherwise runs good even with 1100fps stuff. At local matches the Mossbergs seem a little picky on brands. Cheapest stuff locally is Bimart, runs either Rem Gun Club, or Estate 1oz 1290s on sale for $5.50 a box. I stock up on either when I can, as they both work in all my 12ga guns. I used to shoot nothing but the Walmart Federals back when they were $16.88 a box of 100, didn't give up on em 'til they passed $24. Saw them Yesterday for $27. Man, I hate inflation!

I've already talked with the OP about this, but I've been running Rio 7.5's in my SX2 and haven't had any issues with them. A guy I shoot with tried them out in his 1100 and didn't have much luck with them in it.

I like the RIO Game loads. They are a bit hotter than the Target load. At the 2013 Nordic Component, I was running RIO Game and a full choke. Steel fell! My Open 1100 does not like Winchester Super X! The rounds come out of the tube, but don't trip the carrier to lift them up tot he chamber.