Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2005 Area 3 Championship

The 2005 Area 3 Championship will be held July 1-3, 2005 at the Mill Creek Gun Club in Lenexa, KS. The Match Director will be Scott Hattrup. Scott can be reached at hotrodss@aol.com

Hope to see all of you at the match!

Arnie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YEEEEHAAAA!

A3-2005 is right in my backyard! Lenexa, Kansas is a suburb of the Kansas City area, and is in the far southwest corner of the city. Mill Creek is pretty nice facility and hosts alot of national/regional high power rifle matches. I hope to find out the rest of the details on A3-05 from Scott this weekend.

If I can assist anyone in anyway on planning their trip to KC, feel free to post here, or e-mail me directly at bill_of_oz@sbcglobal.net

Ok your moving that match farther away, bring it back…… well I guess its worth a couple of hours more next year.. It was a good match this year even the weather took it easy on us.. hope to see everyone there this year..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A small group of us are finally putting the finishing touches on the stages for 2005 Area 3. All I can say is.....simply badass.

The stages incorporate all aspects of a shooting challenge: accuracy, speed, movement, pre-planning. etc.

It appears that the match will be Coney-Island-Prop-Free. No stars, no windmills, and no crazy steel. (Just the normal swingers, twisters, bear traps) All of the stages (besides the Classifier) are completely freestyle with options, but no mind-bending puzzles to solve. It will be a shooting test.

I will also be RO'ing Sat/Sun, and look forward to meeting some more BE members.

Arthur Bryant's is good, but there are a few other local joints that are outta this world fantastic. My personal favorite is Okalhoma Joes @ 43rd/Mission. They have BBQ that wins alot of contests.

On a separate note, I will try to get the stage diagrams posted at the A3 or Mill Creek website once they have been approved by NROI.

Little Bill,

I used to live in KC, in the ghetto at 41st and Springfield, just a few blocks from Okie Joe's. It's really good, but I love the gritty Arthur Bryant's sauce the best. Heck, I love Rosedale's, Gates, etc, etc.

The sad crap that passes for barbecue around here is depressing.

• 2 weeks later...

I see there are three hotels listed as having blocks or rooms reserved. Is one of them the "match hotel", or is that not being implemented at this match. Also, any info regarding distance from the range,,, or any other qualitative reasons ;) that might help a person choose a place to stay will be appreciated

Can I park my RV overnight at the range? I used to shoot at Mill Creek so I'm pretty sure there's plenty of room. Don't need elect/water/etc. I did this at the Alabamaa Sectional Limited match this last weekend and it was great.

Tom

Mr. Balko-

I am not sure about a specific match hotel, I will ask the MD, but I don't think so. The closest hotel is in Desoto, but there is not much out that way for amenities. The other match hotels surround the 95th St. / I-35 Intersection about 10 miles away.

itento-

I am not sure about the RV thing. It is another good MD question. I am guessing probably not because the range will be locked up, and they are in the process of trying to build some new berms where there used to be lots of space.

I actually hope the targets are a bit distant since I am shooting Open this time. (First time since A3 of '97) If they are all close, I tend to point shoot and often that isn't necessarily where the dot is. :blink:

Bill - Your welcome for the stages being posted.

Tom - There were not enough rooms to block for a single match hotel. NASCAR race that weekend as well. But I think the RO are going to be at Days Inn. I would have to verify that. Distance from the 95th and I-35 hotel to range is just under 15 miles. There are a lot of resatraunts and stuff near this area as well.

intento - Yes there are 8-12 RV hook-ups at the range. Would need to contact Scott Hattrup (md) or Brett Johnson (amd) about that. I will also check and reply back about that.

Thanks for the info Phtoshp and Bill. The host club web site had more detailed info regarding hotels than the A3 site did, so the link to the posted stages served double duty for me! Looking forward to coming to KC this summer.

Tom