Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good primer hits, no detonation. Help!

open67

Started with Remington primers went to Winchester , and now have Federals. Having same problem. Occasional non detonation of primers. Good hits, not light. Have Apex comp. trigger kit with new sear block they said would help. Stock everything else. Have older 9L and newer Pro. Loading on 650, primers are seated fully.

Jmike, I think both but have been primarily been trying to get my 9L running as it has a great trigger pull. The newer pro has some issues that Apex is trying to get worked out on the trigger pull. Just recieved and new striker block to take the hitch out of the pull and lighten it up but it is the same. Tried adjusting the trigger bar loop but not much success there either. Will be calling them Mon. Nick, why replace with stock? Replaced the Apex longer one with more loops with an extra power one. Was having the problem before I did this and am still having it.

Wow, I hate this for you man.

Well, just so no stone is left unturned in solving this mystery I think it would be a good idea to make sure the problem lies with the pistols and not the ammo or the Apex Comp kits.

Do you suffer from the same problems with factory ammo or is this with just your reloaded ammo? Obviously, if it is also happening with factory ammo there probably wouldn't be a problem in your reloads and you can rule that out.

Have you cleaned the striker channel out? The striker and striker channel should be clean as a whistle and dry. How many rounds approximately has each pistol been through? Can you swap out the strikers from gun to gun and duplicate the problem?

If you put the pistols back to stock, do you have the problem?

Good luck to you and keep us updated.

Edited by JMike

Have not tried factory ammo. Primers are seated fully. Channels are clean. 9L has less than 1,000 through it. Pro has less than 400. Just got it maybe 6 months ago for my sons to shoot with me but haven't haven't had the time to fully put into it till now. Got one of the newer barrels for the 9L awhile back and that improved the accuracy greatly but just got a KKM to try to get even better as got tired of waitining for the Apex BarSto. Primarily shoot open ( M class ) and have a G 34 but love the feel of the M&P and the Apex trigger. Getting somewhat discusted though with some of the problems. Great ergonomics and the Apex trigger ( at least in my 9L is almost 2011ish ) is great. Haven't put the factory parts back in but guess I could do that. Somewhat difficult to find some decent weather to get out and run many round through these as the weather here in Iowa has been the worst in memory. Have a annual indoor tournament this weekend and was going to shoot production with the 9L ( usually shoot open but had a recent knee scope and need to shoot a little slower as not quite 100% yet ) . May just have to get out the glock as I don't think it ever had this problem. Keep up with the input, really appreciate it. Hoping something will click.

I dunno. I'm leaning to a problem with the reloads as others have suggested.

Is the Glock having any problems with your reloads?

I have four M&Ps (one Pro 40SW 5 inch, one CORE 9mm 5 inch, one Pro 4.25 inch 9mm and a Shield 9mm). Actually, I had 5 at one point.

I have installed the Apex FSS kit all except for the Shield. The Shield has the Apex DCAEK. All of my pistols function fine with 400-600 rounds fired through them each after the Apex installations. AlI of that was factory ammo though.

I did have a short lived problem with the 40SW and light primer strikes, but I adjusted the trigger bar loop (candy cane) and that solved my problem (400 rounds fired after that without an issue).

In my opinion, if you want it and unless you can absolutely, positively rule out your ammo, I would put both M&Ps back to stock and see what you have.

I can certainly understand your frustration. Good luck.

Edited by JMike

By any chance do you "wash" your brass (with old primers left in)? Even the slightest drop of water in the primer pocket can kill a new primer. Even if the brass has sat for weeks, it may not completely dry out.

Edited by AdamM

Ok, sounds good and that should be fine. Just wanted to mention one of the simple things first, as that happened to me once when I tried to ultrasonic some brass to see how it would work. Unless you remove the primers before or afterwards to dry, that water can get you.

I used to suffer from light strikes (M&P fullsize w/ FSS kit) using factory ammo. Try using extra power striker spring...I am using a 7lb glock striker spring and this was the only that I was able to fix the light strikes.

+1 and let us know how you get on

Looks like others are suggesting what I would try: put the gun back to stock and see if you still have the issue. I might also try some of them through another gun entirely. Primers not seated deeply enough is a possible cause as is too deeply (which I've only encountered with Tulammo primers so far). I would still try the back to stock and a friend's 9mm to see if it's your reloads or your gun.

Can't locate the 9L's original parts. Know I have them somewhere. Could use the stock parts from the new Pro but not sure this is the thing to do. Am visually inspecting each case for any hight primers or anythng that even looks close. Am going to fire both those seperated out and the ones that look good as well as some factory to see if anything shakes out as soon as the temps. get back up to at least above 20.

Edited by open67

The only xtra power springs I can find are all 6lb. ones. Were did you get yours, and did it affect trigger pull wt. at all?

FYI - I noticed that it is easier to find glock springs than M&P springs....Howwever they work fine for me atleast. PM me and I will gladly send you 2 Ghost 6.5lb Glock striker spring for free :D or you can find them youself at these locations.

• 7lb spring @ Rockyourgock
  • 6lb spring @ Ghost Inc
  • 6.5lb spring @ Ghost Inc
  • 6.5lb spring @ Wolffe