Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worst on-screen gun handling?

blind bat

• 3 weeks later...

Walking Dead drive me crazy. In no particular order:

- The way Rick handles his revolver.

- The Governor's ridiculous setup. Gun backwards in the holster. I don't think he did a cross draw, so it's just super awkward.

- Maggie and Carl's tactical knee holsters. Makes sense to keep your gun a a good 4-5 inches out of your reach...

- Too many more to list

Not defending the show but you have a bunch of civilians who over night had to figure out how to fight without the benefit of expert instructions. I bet all sorts of bad habits would develop and be perpetuated. It would be like a reboot on all the lessons that have been learned about effective gun handling. The best instructors are backwoods sheriff's deputies, a guy who shoots a crossbow without sights, and some national guard dropouts.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

May I present to you my nomination:

The fact that he hardly even flinches and doesn't break rank... spect.

Here is a longer version http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=polish+soldier+shoots+hat+off&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjGFnsi_cnTQ&ei=jCQFU9DcFOiZ1AHUk4C4DQ&usg=AFQjCNGmzbIbJfoaFr6PSiVYp4NFPBfzFw&sig2=Xm-6I2Lam11sSbpyfgvFAw

Likely a blank but still

Brandon Lee was killed by a blank. There are a number of instances where actors have been killed by blanks.

For handling alone... probably "The Raid: Redemption". All the firearms in the entire movie was a bunch of airsoft replicas with muzzle flashes added with a computer later. Problem is, all the actors apparently didn't know how anything recoils. Yet, they had to mimic this motion. So you had scenes like in the hallway of the hotel where guys were lined up on the staircase shooting down, and they've got full auto M-16's and M4's that are seemingly cycling so hard they can barely hold onto it, jerking their entire body as if it were a .50 cal with every shot. Yet, when they shoot a pistol, it doesn't flip at all. Just really ridiculous.

What I always remember is the older crime shows with the guns held close to the body pointing upward as they move through a building. There's a classic Charlies Angels still photo like that.

A friend who teaches civilian and police calls that the Lobotomy Position.

• 4 weeks later...