Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping primed brass

Pasley

It's only a hundred cases so it won't take me long to deprime them. Just seems a shame to waste the primers.

No waste. No reason why you can't reuse them that I know of. If I've damaged the case, I will deprime and reuse the primer, since I know what it is. Scavanged range ammo, though, is iffy, since the provenance is not known.

Just be very careful depriming. I've never heard of one going off, but appropriate precautions seem reasonable.

widners sells primed brass with no hazmat charges.

How do they ship?

Unless it changed.. Primed brass has to be sent the same as regular ammo, via UPS or FedEx, no hazmat required. (Ammo used to be Orm-d, but it may have recently changed to something else)

Good to know. I will dig into this a little deeper and see what I can find.

Edit: I just found this on another forum

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3812581.0

Seems accurate - if so, no hazmat.

Edited by spikers220

It's only a hundred cases so it won't take me long to deprime them. Just seems a shame to waste the primers.

No waste. No reason why you can't reuse them that I know of. If I've damaged the case, I will deprime and reuse the primer, since I know what it is. Scavanged range ammo, though, is iffy, since the provenance is not known.

Just be very careful depriming. I've never heard of one going off, but appropriate precautions seem reasonable.

widners sells primed brass with no hazmat charges.

How do they ship?

I reclaim primers from reloads that do not pass final inspection in any way. MT out the primer catch pot and after depriming inspect them and discard any that have any deformation or look other than new to you. They are only 4 cents each so go figure.

Chuck

I think that you can ship primers installed in brass via USPS with no declaration. If you ask your post office, they may just say no because it sounds scary to them (as they likely have no idea what a primer is but since you said the word "ammo" the answer is automatically no)

Edited by gp79

I think that you can ship primers installed in brass via USPS with no declaration. If you ask your post office, they may just say no because it sounds scary to them (as they likely have no idea what a primer is but since you said the word "ammo" the answer is automatically no)

No, you can't ship brass with live primers via USPS without being in violation of their hazardous material regulations.

I've shipped primed brass using my local Mail-boxes-etc type of place. I drop off a bag of them with the address, and my MBE guy calls me later with the shipping total he charged to my card.

It's never been over $10, which leads me to believe that there was/is no hazmat charge...and since he's a registered/whatever/agent of UPS and Fedex, my presumption -only a presumption because I'm not gonna second guess the guy, it's his business, after all- is that with UPS and fedex it's kosher...

HOWEVER... since my MBE guy only charges a VERY nominal/minor fee to handle/pack my stuff, I am very happy to let him handle it all for me.

Primers on their own are considered hazmat and require the fee and special handling. Only FedEx and UPS will handle hazmat, not USPS.

Primed brass is considered safe - just like ammo. It doesn't require hazmat fees, but still must be shipped via UPS or FedEx. The USPS won't handle any type of ammunition. Unprimed brass is a different story.

Hope this helps! It would be a shame to waste those primers or even to have to deprime the cases. Just ship them as they are via FedEx or UPS.

GL!