Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon and SHOT Show - RT 1500 Trimmer

I didn't see anything posted yet. If this is a duplicate, I apologize.

As I was perusing SHOT show I came across this. Dillon has beefed up their trimmer to handle 300 Blackout processing:

RT-1500-e1390105908983.jpg

Blackout-Trim-die-e1390106077769.jpg

Edited by The Law

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea on what the new trimmer will cost?

The Dillon rep I spoke with said it would be about $30 more than the 1200 (around $300).

Availability will be once current stock of 1200s is gone (30 days or so was the estimate).

GSI makes/sells the toolhead and 300 BLK trim dies. Motor is the same. The set uses two dies to completely form 300 BLK from .223/5.56. Guy at GSI told me they are ready to ship and price is about $150 (for toolhead and dies, no motor). Dillon couldn't say when they'll be shipping them with the motors.

I was told the motors were the same, but seemed like some of the guys in the Dillon booth really didn't know a whole lot about it. So maybe it is an upgrade (as stated in the video). The two die 300 BLK conversion kit w/toolhead for 550 or 650 is available on GSI's website. Dillon also had billet aluminum toolheads for 550s (not sure about 650s, but don't recall seeing those).

Motors are not the same between the 1200 and 1500. 1500 is BEEFY, bearings and brushes are 3x the size, magnets in the housing are way bigger, everything is bigger internally. Its really overkill for everything except 300BLK conversion. It uses the same vacuum attachment, power box and cutter inserts as RT1200, but thats it. You couldnt take an RT1200 internals and drop it into the RT1500 frame. For simple brass trimming of 223 and 308 stuff the RT1200 is more than adequate and I dont believe they intend to stop making it. The market for this bigger one is 300BLK conversion.

Supposedly later this year they will be ready. One person told me $450-500, but another at SHOT said 30-50 bucks more than rt1200.

Supposedly somebody is also working on a 1050 tool head similar to the 650 tool head they had on display, but nobody would talk about that.

Motors are not the same between the 1200 and 1500. 1500 is BEEFY, bearings and brushes are 3x the size, magnets in the housing are way bigger, everything is bigger internally. Its really overkill for everything except 300BLK conversion. It uses the same vacuum attachment, power box and cutter inserts as RT1200, but thats it. You couldnt take an RT1200 internals and drop it into the RT1500 frame. For simple brass trimming of 223 and 308 stuff the RT1200 is more than adequate and I dont believe they intend to stop making it. The market for this bigger one is 300BLK conversion.

Supposedly later this year they will be ready. One person told me $450-500, but another at SHOT said 30-50 bucks more than rt1200.

Supposedly somebody is also working on a 1050 tool head similar to the 650 tool head they had on display, but nobody would talk about that.

I went over to the GSI booth after talking to the Dillon rep and GSI said they were "thinking about" producing a 1050 trimming tool head similar to the 650 one shown in the photo above. Needless to say I gave them as much encouragement as I could...

The Dillon rep I spoke with about the RT 1500 seemed fairly knowledgeable and comfortable discussing the new trimmer. As stated, it's a beefed up motor designed to handle the rigors of trimming/creating 300 Blackout brass. He made it sound like they were waiting to clear out their current inventory of RT 1200 trimmers (next 30 days or so he said) and then the RT 1500 would take its place/become available.

The rep I deal with over there said there were no plans to stop producing/selling the RT1200, but that was October time frame when I was talking about trimmers with him(he was busy with a big client when I was in their booth at SHOT). Unless they have made a decision to price it so close that it doesnt make sense from an inventory stand point to do the RT1200 anymore(again, the "rumor" in October was 450-500 bucks, but now they are saying only 30-50 bucks more than the RT1200). The engineer I was talking to at SHOT said 8 months on the RT1500, I didnt hear anybody say 30 days. I have been "aware" of the new trimmer for a few months and maybe their plans/pricing/what not has changed recently. If they are indeed only going to price it $30-50 more than the RT1200, its a no brainer to simply discontinue the RT1200 and go 100% to the RT1500 and NEVER worry again about blowing one up except under sustained extreme use and even that I doubt it will be an issue. But, with all that said, the RT1200 is still a great trimmer for doing small trimming like 223 and 308, its only when you start doing 300BLK trimming that you kill them quick. Not going to be an issue with the RT1500.

And as far as the 1050 tool head, im of mixed opinion. Its SO EASY to mill the 1050 tool head vs. the 650 or 550 tool heads which have to be re-done in billet due to the voids on the bottom from the casts(which obviously arent present on the 1050 tool head) that I dont know if it would be worth it money wise to go with a billet 1050 tool head with the vacuum port. Im thinking a billet 1050 tool head might run into the mid 300 range VERY easily. I took my 1050 tool head to my buddies shop and their machinist cut it down for a handle of jim beam. So a $180 tool head with $20 worth of machine time vs. a billet tool head in the mid 300 range(just a guess on price). Hell I could probably take him a 1050 tool head, have him mill a hole in the side and thread it for a vacuum attachment and it would be just about the same as the 650 tool head they had on display. I just dont know if the market would bear it. Like I said, on the 650, since you have to go billet anyway to be able to cut it down, its a no brainer, on the 1050, not so sure it makes as much sense.

Edited by rjacobs

I'm curious to know if this is the "long" version or the "short" version. Meaning, Dillon currently has two RT1200 motors. The "short" version is for taller cases and trim dies. The "longer" one is for AK and 6.8 trim dies. I don't know if they still make them, but I saw in the past that CH4D makes two different 300 AAC trim dies for the RT1200 trimmers: one for the "short" motor and one for the "long" motor. The one for the "short" motor requires the toolhead milling. The one for the "long" motor works without any toolhead milling (the one I will get) but has some reported issues with the filings not getting sucked out the port like it should. I'm not sure (yet) if this new RT1500 is a "long" or "short" version motor. I don't want to mill my toolhead so I may or may not buy this. It appears this new RT1200 motor is designed to trim the 1/2" of case. Since I have no problem with cutting my cases first (with the various techniques discussed in other threads) and then using the trimmer as designed (not trimming too much), this new motor does not excite me much. What is exciting is the idea of Dillon making a 300 AAC trim die. The only problem is, I don't (yet) know if this new trim die will be a "long" or "short" version.

Definitely taking a wait-and-see approach.

I believe the only difference between the two is the tool holder and all that takes is a roll pin to knock out and swap out. Im not 100% sure that that is the only difference, but I believe it is. If it is there should be zero reason Dillon cant sell both models.

And if you have a 550 or 650 there is no need to mill the tool head because there are pre-milled tool heads available for relatively cheap.

And the 300BLK trim dies I saw were very short so they would require a milled tool head.

Edited by rjacobs

I have the RT1200 meant for .223 or .308.

Is there a way to use it to trim 7.62X39 brass, brass?

I really do not want to blow another $200 or $300 for their specific 7.62X39 trimmer and die.

Not with Dillon's trim dies. The shorter cases require a longer trim motor shaft. Don't know if there are others out there.

Like you, I as well have the RT1200 for the longer cases (shorter shaft motor)... and am probably going to have to bite the bullet and buy the other RT1200.

Edited by G29SF

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response....just finding this.

I was informed that the RT1500 was replacing the RT1200 and it would occur in the next 30-60 days as well.

Dillon is not making the 300 toolheads or the 300 trim dies, both of those are from GSI. The GSI dies are a two stage with a rough die and a final die. The guys I spoke to at the Dillon booth said the tests they have done were using the final die only and had hit 500,000 pieces without issue.

Also, not sure where they idea came from that you cant mill down the cast toolheads on the 650...many have done it, myself included.

Times like this I REALLY wish I went the Dillon route.

I have a Hornady lnl and has served me fine. Bought it used and got the case feeder free so it was a good deal. Ive seen 1200b fitted on the LNL and CH4D trim dies used to trim 300blk after an initial harbor freight cut. I load 223, 308, and now 300blk, it would be nice to find out the new 1500 will fit and allow me to trim all three. I know people swear by giraurd but for AR's and mass case prep, I dont think one can beat the 1200 .

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke with a Dillon rep the other day while ordering some parts for my RL 1050 project. He said that the RT 1500 probably wouldn't be available until "summer." FWIW

Edited by The Law

Yup. Just got a reply back from Dillon today and they said the RT 1500 wouldn't be out for at least 2-3 more months. One of the CSRs at Grafs also said that the thinks that the 1200B will still be produced even when the 1500 comes out.

Edited by ams30gts

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have a RT1200 trimmer with several trim dies.

I am not wildcat case forming or forming 243 Win out of 30/06 or anything in that category.

Just simply trimming factory original brass to its specified trim length.

Do I need to trade my RT1200 for the new RT1500 ?

Will my trim dies for the RT1200 fit the new RT1500 ?