Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon and SHOT Show - RT 1500 Trimmer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, being new to the whole .300blk thing... Is the Dillon 1500 going to be beefy enough to mulch the entire neck/shoulder off a 5.56 without having to cut on a chop saw first?

yes, thats what its designed to do.

Hell the 1200 will withstand ~25k cases depending on feed rate.

The 1500 is WAY over built, which is a good thing.

So, being new to the whole .300blk thing... Is the Dillon 1500 going to be beefy enough to mulch the entire neck/shoulder off a 5.56 without having to cut on a chop saw first?

Even the 1200 can do it, but they are beefing up a version with bigger bearings and calling it the 1500

http://www.gsiinternational.com/300-Blackout-for-650_8_4243_8644.html

Thanks for the video. Looks like I need to buy two trimmers then, to avoid having to run the cases through the press twice.

You really only need one trimmer, install it and the rough die into your GSI head and run all your brass once, then install the final die and trimmer onto your GSI head and run a second pass.

You can't install two trimmers on one head, there is only one vacuum port. If you are going to buy two trimmers, you might as well buy two GSI heads (I have considered doing this but the convenience probably isn't worth the cost).

I ordered the 300blk trim dies set from GSI but the "roughing" die was sent back for replacement. It won't "hold" the case but the case will spin if I used lube per their instruction.

Also It was "loose" at the case mouth and the brass will vibrate while trimming causing marks to the case mouth.

I should hear from GSI on monday.

I ordered the 300blk trim dies set from GSI but the "roughing" die was sent back for replacement. It won't "hold" the case but the case will spin if I used lube per their instruction.

Also It was "loose" at the case mouth and the brass will vibrate while trimming causing marks to the case mouth.

I should hear from GSI on monday.

Thanks for the feedback, please keep us apprised. I plan to buy the GSI 300BLK kit soon as well.

• 4 weeks later...

If you buy a RT1500, there is zero need to two step trim. I am guessing the two step trim is for those guys with RT1200b's.

The GSI set-up does the brass conversion in two stages, whether using the RT1200 or the RT1500.

I just got my 1200, as I can't wait for the 1500 to come out. There's a disclaimer in the 1200 that says specifically, if you trim more than 0.025" from a case, the warranty is null and void.

So, I would imagine, they are having enough issues with the 1200 to put that disclaimer in there for the guys who are trimming .300 blk in one swipe.

If you buy a RT1500, there is zero need to two step trim. I am guessing the two step trim is for those guys with RT1200b's.

The GSI set-up does the brass conversion in two stages, whether using the RT1200 or the RT1500.

Well aware of what the GSI setup does. I am almost 100% certain the GSI setup was designed to run RT1200's. Just dont use the first stage die if you get an RT1500.

If I had to run a two stage conversion I would own 2 RT1200's, not a single 1500. Once you set them up, you dont want to change them since inevitably the die will spin in the tool head and now you have to re-set head space as well. Every time I have to reset a trim die or trim motor I end up eating 20-30 pieces of brass getting things just right, but I am anal about precision and being just where I want to be.

Well aware of what the GSI setup does. I am almost 100% certain the GSI setup was designed to run RT1200's. Just dont use the first stage die if you get an RT1500.

If I had to run a two stage conversion I would own 2 RT1200's, not a single 1500. Once you set them up, you dont want to change them since inevitably the die will spin in the tool head and now you have to re-set head space as well. Every time I have to reset a trim die or trim motor I end up eating 20-30 pieces of brass getting things just right, but I am anal about precision and being just where I want to be.

If you are "well aware", maybe you know something I don't, but I sure don't read it that way on GSI's website (http://www.gsiinternational.com/Trim-Dies-_8_4243.html):

The GSI 300 AAC Blackout trim die system is made up of two separate dies: 1) the Rough Trim Die and 2) the Trim Die. They are designed to be used with the Dillon RT1200B or RT1500 trimmer motors, and specifically designed to be used progressively with the GSI Trimmer Toolhead.

The Rough Trim Die is an intermediate size/trim step between 5.56x45 NATO or .223 Remington and 300 AAC Blackout. It was our experience during development that if we used a traditional trim die for the conversion process alone, that the brass was not supported properly when it first contacts the trimmer. This caused the case to spin with the trimmer creating a jam. The roughing die is the proper size to grip the case BEFORE it ever contacts the trimmer, allowing for an excellent roughing cut. Being that it is a rough cut, there is no need for fine adjustment. In most cases following the instructions below will result in a properly rough trimmed case.

The Trim Die is a traditional full length sizing die, manufactured to minimum tolerance. It is designed to be used after the Rough Trim Die, or with once fired brass, for final size and trimming.

Seems pretty clear to me that using two dies and two passes is a result of the conversion process (and not the trimmer choice). I bolded the particular sentence where GSI explains why they went to a two-step process and it has nothing to do with which trimmer you are using.

Ive converted north of 80k pieces of 5.56 into 300BLK. Ive gone through a couple RT1200 motors(2 new ones and a rebuild or two) and have been beating on a pre production RT1500 for a few months(no issues with it through about 40k pieces).

I have not had an issue with spinning cases, although some people do. I dont use a GSI die, but I do a single pass in a Whidden die. If you use to much lube the cases can spin, which isnt an issue for the case so much as it wears out your die very very quickly. If your feed rate is REALLY slow, again, you can get case spin. I have never seen a spinning case cause a jam in the die or cause the trimmer to jam up. It wears the die out and you lose your head space. I used to get some case spin when I did conversion on a 550B, but the feed rate was a lot slower than what my Forcht 1050 runs.

Maybe ill order up a set of the GSI dies and only run the full trim length one and see how it runs. My guess is I wont have spinning issues with it either. BUT for the average guy hand cranking a 550b or 650, they wont be feeding fast enough to NOT get case spin. Most people who get this setup are going to be fairly "gentle" with it is my guess so as to maximize motor life. Not a concern with an RT1500, but most definitely is with the RT1200. Slow your feed rate down and let the trimmer do the work. Sounds great, but then you can get case spin. Up the feed rate, trimmer bogs down, bearings take a beating from up down motion, lower trimmer life, but you dont get case spin. Its a balancing act. The RT1500 solves the issue of bogging down due to feed rate and keeps the trimmer motor life up(supposedly one has run 500k rounds of single pass 300BLK conversion).

I still say I would run dual 1200's with the two stage or a single 1500 and just do a single pass with a high feed rate to keep case spin from happening.

Edited by rjacobs

I just want one for a dedicated 223 toolhead, but it would kinda make my giraud obsolete :(

A 1500 or a 1200?

If all you are going to do is trim 223(as in trim a couple thousandths), the RT1500 is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY overkill. The RT1200 will trim 100's of thousands of .223 cases and give you years of life. No need for the RT1500. I have an RT1500 and I still have 2 RT1200's on .223 and .308 prep tool heads. I dont plan to change them out either.

I just want one for a dedicated 223 toolhead, but it would kinda make my giraud obsolete :(

A 1500 or a 1200?

If all you are going to do is trim 223(as in trim a couple thousandths), the RT1500 is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY overkill. The RT1200 will trim 100's of thousands of .223 cases and give you years of life. No need for the RT1500. I have an RT1500 and I still have 2 RT1200's on .223 and .308 prep tool heads. I dont plan to change them out either.

Yeah i was wanting a 1500

• 4 weeks later...