Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which length Dawson Posi-Lock mag release do you use?

EngineerEli

Hey all,

I have been looking and searching and cant find much of anyone that really calls out which version of this mag release they use. I have a new STI eagle I plan to use for three gun and as a back up limited gun. I'm having some over insertion issues with the stock mag release so I'm going to order one of Dawson's Posi-lock ones. I have smaller sized hands and do have to shift my hand to reach the stock mag release. What do most people use out there. I have read some people that got the extended one and felt it was too long and found their mags dropping all the time. I would think if you chose to put a mag button on the end it would only stick out further and get in the way more. My though as of right now is to get the drilled and tapped one that is IDPA length, try it as is, and if I decide I want it a little longer still get a button to put on it. What do you all think? Which buttons do you all prefer if you do like using a button?

Stock length .......... 0.165"

IDPA length ........... 0.190"

Extended length .... 0.265"

With button ........... ?????

Thanks,

Eli

I have the extended Posilock in my Limited 2011 as well as the 2011 I use for 3-gun. When I first got the Posilock I opted for the one that was drilled and tapped thinking I might add a button. Didn't end up doing that since the extended one did the job for me, so when I got one for my 3-g gun I opted for just the Extended non-tapped. I've never had a problem with inadvertently hitting the mag release while in the holster or from loaded gun on table starts. I have med-large hands.

I found that shooters connection has the this one in stock Dawson Mag Release STI 2011 Posi-Lock Standard Length, Drilled & Tapped 4-40 which I could get and attach the CR Speed RHT Snake Skin Mag Release Button to it, which from what I can find extends out the right amount for the standard length releases. Can anyone confirm that? Was it that button designed for the standard length, or would it be better with an extended release under it?

I use the standard Dawson posh-lock drilled and tapped and have attached the Dawson Lo Pro button in 4-40.

My hands are medium sized and have to turn the gun in my hand to hit the mag button too. I had lost the mag button and was shooting matches without it until the new one arrived. Without the button, I was not consistent in hitting the mag release on mag changes (we have to shoot everything 10 here).

I guess without the mag button, I had to really stretch to reach the release with my thumb.

I use the IDPA one, no button

But that's because you shoot IDPA, right? I quit worrying about IDPA legal gear when I quit shooting IDPA.

Or I wanted an extended one but not a HUGE one

That was my though as well. I'll still get the D/T one just in case I decide I want it even longer, then I just add a button... My only concern would be if a button was designed for the standard length and you put it on the IDPA length is it going to be sticking out too far? ( I do not shoot any IDPA, FYI)