Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Triggers and .22 conversions.

Thehotrodpig

I sold my m&p 15/22 and built an upper that is pretty much identical to my 3gun build minus the comp. 18" spikes barrel, spikes bcg, midwest 15" gen2 hand guard. Tac30 on a pepr mount.

My ar is a bit of a budget build. My triggers are all tuned mil spec jobs. I stone them, jp3.5# springs, cut the tail off the hammer and put a set screw under the grip. I get a pretty nice 3.5-4# trigger that is crisp and they go bang with everything I shoot.

With this new .22 upper my triggers don't want to pop the rimfire primers. I understand rimfire is a bit of different animal.

I intend to build a dedicated lower for this .22 but need to figure out the trigger. I am looking for advise on getting a reliable trigger that pops .22. I would prefer to tune a mil spec trigger as opposed to buying a drop in if I can. Any insight is appreciated.

I have a Spike's .22 upper and it did not work consistently with a Chip McCormick trigger (3.5 lbs) but of course works fine with a stock trigger. I'm now using it on a lower with a Geiselle SSA trigger. This trigger works great and is light enough for my purposes. I have a friend using a CMMG upper on a lower with a Geiselle SSA-E trigger and it seems to work fine.

Cutting the tail off is the culprit here. You slow the lock time a little if you leave it, but the mass helps slam the firing pin down. With the JP trigger and a std DPMS hammer (semiauto, without the tailhook), it leaves a heavier gouge than any rimfire I own. It will split the rim open if you re-strike a dud round in the same spot. Med JP hammer spring or Mil-Spec work equally fine. Wouldn't try the light one

I have been researching other sites after posting this. I have been reading about the same things. Non cut rounded type hammer and a little heavier springs. I will try that and still uses the grip screw and some polishing and see what I can come up with. Out of curiosity is there a drop in single stage out there that works well that comes in at the 3-3.5# range?

No wonder I'm getting light strikes with my Jard #2 trigger with a colt .22 conversion. Going to try the #3 spring

Sorry, but I don't think this is going to help you out. Changing the coil spring in the Jard that sets trigger weight isn't going to give you any more strike force at the hammer.

What should I do to improve the force of the hammer?

You could try a GI hammer spring and see if it fits. Without having them in front of me I can't tell you if they are interchangeable or not, but the design is similar. I'm guessing the Jard has a lighter spring than mil-spec. I haven't tried my .22 upper on my lower with the Jard trigger, would be an interesting test as my Jard trigger comes in at just under 2lbs. I know it works with my JP at 3lb 5oz though.