Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone ever seen this broken extractor tunnel?

Mat Price

OK so over the last couple weeks my 9mm Major trubor has been ever now and then failing to extract. I figure after about 15K rounds the aftec springs are ready for a swap. I clean pretty regular and pul the extractor about every 1500K and clean the tunnel so I pulled the aftec today and this is what i found. Now mind you out of the last 2000 or so rounds i have only had a few not extract maybe 5 just shot a match last wek and had zero issues

20140111_172158-1.jpg

as you can one of the tabs have broken off the srping holder.

so then this catches my eye. thing is I dont have a clue how long it has been like this this is a new top end it may have 8K rounds on it.

20140111_173015.jpg

is it actually broken or is that some sort of relief the smith who fit the top end put there... looks broken to me. posted the pic with the painted stock slide for refeance

but then there seems to be no isses with feeding or extraction.

the extractor passes the tension test no problems

20140111_180854.jpg

so should I even worry about. Its primary gun right now till my new gun comes in from the smith. if it runs should i just continue to shoot it? and send it in when i get my new gun running ect...

what are you guys thoughts ?

No never have. Most of what this gun sees is around 150 pf practice rounds. I shoot a lower pf in practice because it causes me to grip the gun to steady the dot. Only during prematch practice and matches does it ever see 173 pf

Plus the Extractor is pristine not a bend scratch crack nice nothing. Just as pristine as the day the Smith who fit the and cut the slide tuned it

Edited by Mat Price

I realize it's not an SVI slide, but almost every SVI removable breech face that I've seen eventually breaks in the same place. It doesn't seem to affect function in any way, so I just remove that little lip on the removable breechface to prevent the possibility of the little piece jamming up something when it does break off.

breechface_216_278.jpg

Edited by Ming the Merciless

I'm "that guy" when it comes to breaking wierd stuff, but that is an odd break.

I say shoot it, and then shoot it some more.

Statistically, the odds are zero that you have ANOTHER freakish problem with that gun, so that ironically might end up being the most reliable gun you have.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, I have seen that before. The barrel contacts the tip of the extractor during unlocking, pushing it down.

When installing the Aftec extractor, you have to relieve the bottom part of the tunnel to prevent the extractor from breaking through.

Also, you have to relieve the extractor tip to prevent contact with the barrel. The relief on most barrels is not enough.