Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport magwell clearance issues

djcantr

Got a .40 S&W Tactical Sport I've been shooting for the past almost year. Have 17 round mags with CZ Custom extended base pads (http://czcustom.com/cztacticalsportextendedbasepadBlack.aspx) on them. I installed a CZ Custom large magwell (http://czcustom.com/cztsmagwelllarge.aspx) this evening. The mags aren't seating. The base pads on the back side are hitting the magwell and preventing the mags from inserting to a depth where the mag catch will lock them in. The magwell is as far back on the frame as it can be and still have the plug pin catch in the plug pin hole in the magwell. I can't see that I've done anything wrong here but I wanted to check before taking a Dremel to the base pads or the magwell. Does this combo normally require clearancing?

I recently ordered a new base pad for my TS and when it came in, it had a different CZC logo on it than the other 3. The different logo looks cheesy IMO.

Anyway, although all the others needed a swift tap on the floor once seated, this new style has a significantly different diameter and once seated, gave me problems ejecting. after a few hundred dry reloads it left a polished wear mark in the magwell.

The point is, the pads do need a little breaking in, sand them like kneelingatlas said and if you like, you can ship em to me and I can sandblast & Cerakote them black for ya.

I got all this blast and paint gear for xmas and Im looking to play, haha!

Oh and remove the pin holding the mainspring plug in, you dont need it once you have that big magwell on there. The CZC guys will tell you this also.

You might also want to check the L-shaped magazine lock plate. I had to trim all of mine shorter to avoid hitting the mag well. It took me a while to find that.....Try putting a magazine with no spring or follower or lock plate in your gun. Just the empty magazine with the extended base plate. If it goes in and releases fine, then it's the magazine lock plate hitting.

My base pads and mag well arrived last night and I have this same issue. Removing the locking plate doesn't fix my problem. I will see where I am after blending the mag well and frame.

I have been slightly less impressed with some of the CZC parts. I got the recommended follower and spring kit but the followers look like they are sticking out of the top of the magazines too far when empty and it caused some issues with the slide lock.

Also, I purchased a CZC aluminum SA trigger (not the flat one) and it didn't have a hole drilled for the trigger return spring. I drilled a hole last night and it's working great but it's not the type of thing that I would have expected.

CZs are great guns but seem to be best owned by amateur gun smiths who don't mind a bit of tinkering. I haven't owned a 1911 but maybe it's similar. I am just glad that I had a lot of years working in Glocks to build same confidence.

I have the CZC flat aluminum trigger. It's only 2 years old, but when I did my winter rebuild last month the pivot holes are starting to look real sloppy. It looks like I will have to replace the trigger next winter. I would have thought it would have lasted longer.

I finally did the clearancing tonight. Had to remove quite a bit from the base pads. Now they're really, really ugly. But, they work now and the mags seat normally and drop free. Sanding didn't remove enough material so I had to use a file. Wish I had a mill!