Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 9mm Trigger Work

shel6977

Well I'm looking to get some trigger work done on my M&P Pro and looking for some advice on it. I will only be using it to shoot some USPSA in the spring and then just to tinker around with. I'm in between doing a competitoon Apex kit but I've been in contact with Mike at Accurate Iron. I've heard good about both, especially Accurate Iron, but not sure what to do. My main concern is if I ever need warranty work done, will anything aftermarket done to the trigger void a warranty? I would have to ship the gun to Mike so that will add some more money to the equation also. What do you guys think?

Something you need to consider for USPSA; are you wanting to shoot Production or Limited. If you do a trigger job which includes any visible external mods, this takes you out of production.

An full APEX mod is not complete unless you go with the FSS trigger, which is obvious visually. As for the Accurate one, looks like they install some screw to take up the pre-travel. If this is visible, then its off production also.

For my money, the APEX route is something that can be reversed if you need to send it back to S&W. Don't know what all happens with the gunsmith route.

For a production legal home job, just get the APEX springs (striker and return), replace the USB, and get some wet/dry sand paper and polish out the two contact points on the trigger bar.

1. Smooth out the portion which pushes on the USB. It is the grittiness everyone feels on a new gun.

2. Polish up the shepard's hook portion that contacts the sear.

3. Open or close up the hook itself to adjust for early or late trigger release, your preference.

4. Carefully radius the safety catch on the trigger safety so that the trigger doesn't hang up. A lighter return spring makes this a problem sometimes.

We're talking about 15-30 minutes work here, except for the USB. You might need a local gunny to push the sights on and off for the USB install.

If you're willing to go with externally visible mods, get the FSS trigger kit. It's the biggest bang for the money. It needs some careful adjustments on the shepard's hook to ensure the USB is out of the way before the sear releases, otherwise you get light strikes.

Something you need to consider for USPSA; are you wanting to shoot Production or Limited. If you do a trigger job which includes any visible external mods, this takes you out of production.

An full APEX mod is not complete unless you go with the FSS trigger, which is obvious visually. As for the Accurate one, looks like they install some screw to take up the pre-travel. If this is visible, then its off production also.

For my money, the APEX route is something that can be reversed if you need to send it back to S&W. Don't know what all happens with the gunsmith route.

For a production legal home job, just get the APEX springs (striker and return), replace the USB, and get some wet/dry sand paper and polish out the two contact points on the trigger bar.

1. Smooth out the portion which pushes on the USB. It is the grittiness everyone feels on a new gun.

2. Polish up the shepard's hook portion that contacts the sear.

3. Open or close up the hook itself to adjust for early or late trigger release, your preference.

4. Carefully radius the safety catch on the trigger safety so that the trigger doesn't hang up. A lighter return spring makes this a problem sometimes.

We're talking about 15-30 minutes work here, except for the USB. You might need a local gunny to push the sights on and off for the USB install.

If you're willing to go with externally visible mods, get the FSS trigger kit. It's the biggest bang for the money. It needs some careful adjustments on the shepard's hook to ensure the USB is out of the way before the sear releases, otherwise you get light strikes.

I should have said in the first post. This is my first year to competition shooting so I was thinking I would stay in production since that's the most simple cost effective. Edited by shel6977

For production, then items some springs and steps 1-4 above would do it. I forget to mention that you can put in an APEX RAM, but this is only relevant if you care about trigger reset. Putting in a lighter trigger return spring actually softens the reset, so a RAM is kind of counters that. It will never quite feel like a Glock, but close.

There is also a kludge reset enhancement which involves pulling out the slide stop bar assembly, and squeezing it a bit to make it push on the trigger bar. S&W has added material to the inner portion of the slide stop in order to do the same thing, but this is on very late builds.

Accurate Iron should be able to put over-travel stops inside the gun and keep it production legal. Most people that have had apex kits and guns done by gunsmiths say that a gunsmith trigger is much better then any of the apex kits. A good gunsmith should be able to give you the "Phantom 1911" like trigger job that everyone talks about and keep it production legal

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my new pro back from Dan Burwell, and I absolutely love the work he did. It's sitting at about 3.5#, has an excellent reset and shorter pre travel with his welded over travel stop in the frame. Nothing externally visible and it's a fantastic feel. Highly recommend!

Just received my new pro back from Dan Burwell, and I absolutely love the work he did. It's sitting at about 3.5#, has an excellent reset and shorter pre travel with his welded over travel stop in the frame. Nothing externally visible and it's a fantastic feel. Highly recommend!

wow, was it hard getting ahold of Dan? Would you mind taking some pics of the mods that he put in place?

Not hard at all. Initially contacted him on Facebook, then emailed via contact page on his web site for his wife to get me on the schedule. Adequate communication and fantastic work.

I sent him a messege on Facebook 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything from him. I totally understand being busy but I'm not going to hunt the guy down.

The Burwell trigger jobs I've seen would not (in my opinion) be Production-legal... the blob of weld he applies to the trigger bar to reduce take-up causes an externally visible change (the trigger starts further back). Will you get caught? Probably not, but I could not do it as I would know. Integrity is doing what is right, even when nobody is looking.

I should have said in the first post. This is my first year to competition shooting so I was thinking I would stay in production since that's the most simple cost effective.

For Production, I would recommend buying a complete Apex DCAEK kit. It is a simple-to-install drop-in fit, requires no polishing etc., and all the parts are designed to work together to yield an outstandingly smooth trigger pull that remains 100% USPSA Production legal. It will be hard to shave off much cost or get a better trigger that is still Production legal.

From what I can tell comparing it to my stock m&p, the trigger does not sit any further back at rest and there is no blob of a weld on the trigger bar when looking in. I suppose it's possible it may sit back further, but I can't detect that. The only weld i can tell is the over travel spot, which is so smooth to the factory parts you wouldn't know it's there if it was painted black.

Also, this is in a pistol I've dedicated to 3 gun, with no intentions of shooting production ever (brass magwell, tungsten guide rod, stippling in non approved production locations, extended mag release). I only state this as you quoted my post and suggest "will you get caught? Probably not." I'm hiding nothing and getting over on nobody.

The Burwell trigger jobs I've seen would not (in my opinion) be Production-legal... the blob of weld he applies to the trigger bar to reduce take-up causes an externally visible change (the trigger starts further back). Will you get caught? Probably not, but I could not do it as I would know. Integrity is doing what is right, even when nobody is looking.

That is not a correct interpretation of the rules. You can modify any parts inside, as long as the modification to the parts is not visible from the outside. It does not matter that the trigger is set further back. If it was not legal for Production, it would not be done that way.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

... I only state this as you quoted my post and suggest "will you get caught? Probably not." I'm hiding nothing and getting over on nobody.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply this of you personally... just a general comment about the Burwell trigger and Production division.

That is not a correct interpretation of the rules. You can modify any parts inside, as long as the modification to the parts is not visible from the outside. It does not matter that the trigger is set further back. If it was not legal for Production, it would not be done that way.

I'm not sure this is quite correct - I seem to recall reading a DNROI ruling that if the consequences of the modification are externally visible, it is not Production legal. I'll have to try to hunt it down and provide a link.

I'm sure it is correct, as I had the conversation with Amidon after the rules were passed to make sure our services were legal for Production division. I've done a lot of M&P trigger jobs and want to make sure that anything I do is within the rules. I didn't take it personally either, as I understand the rules can be confusing, even to the people who wrote them.

I'm sure it is correct, as I had the conversation with Amidon after the rules were passed to make sure our services were legal for Production division. I've done a lot of M&P trigger jobs and want to make sure that anything I do is within the rules. I didn't take it personally either, as I understand the rules can be confusing, even to the people who wrote them.

Yeah, I may be confusing this with the Vanek trigger ruling. In many ways I prefer the clarity of IPSC Production rules... NO modifications period.

• 1 month later...