Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35

JFD

I need some help. My search function technique here must suck, because I can't find any answers.

The glock site doesn't give me many answers either.

I know the 35 is supposed to be targeted towards competition shooters, but I'm not sure how. I also know little about glocks in general, but I'm trying to improve on that.

All I hear about glocks is the adjustable sight is a major joke. SO....did glock put a decent adjustable sight on the 35 or leave the crappy sight on there? The glock site mentions nothing about the sights on their spec page for the 35. For all I know it's a fixed sight.

They do list mag capacity as 10 / 15 / 17. Now I knew about 10 round mags and 15 round mags, but is there a 17 round mag out there somewhere?

I've heard is already has an extended mag release and 3.5 lb connector (I'd probably drop a Ghost Rocket in there anyway), but is there anything else? Maybe a steel guide rod? Is the fit and/or finish better?

I'm seeing the 35 selling for $550 at Glockmeister, which sounds pretty darn good to me, especially if "intended for competition" means it has at least the basic mods that darn near everyone does to a glock for competition (sights, guide rod, etc...).

Any help would be appreciated.

Same ol wunder-plastic Glock sights on the 35. The 'competition' parts are the 3.5 lb connector, extendo mag release, extendo slide-release, long slide and long barrel. All else is Glock-standard. Same goes for the 34.

Glad you mentioned the extended slide release. I'll have to get a regular one if I decide to take the glock plunge.

I had a feeling the 35 wasn't what I was hoping it was. Not enough price difference between it and a 22 to equal what I really "have" to do to get it ready for competition. Just about enough difference to cover what it does offer. Fair enough :mellow: Don't tell me how DS can beat the world with a box stock glock, as I'm quite aware that I'm not him and I need all the help I can get.

I'm figuring I'd go with the Ghost Rocket connector, Bo-Mars, stainless guide rod, and the biggest magwell I can find. Still have some checking to do though.

BTW: What's the biggest magwell out there anyway?

I'm asking because I was handling a 35 today that had a nice, but no longer produced magwell on it (I thought it looked like a JP, but didn't catch the name of it). It contacted the base of my hand and the result is the glock no longer pointed high for me (compared to a 17 I was looking at earlier). So whatever magwell flares out the most is the one for me. Extra weight wouldn't be a bad thing either.

The 35 is as shred said a longslide 22. I find that I like the extra sight radius. It comes with the 3.5 lb connector and an extended mag release. IMHO there are only a few things that need accessorizing. In order of necessity/function

1. Sights: The stock sights suck suck suck. Heinie rears with a Fiber optic front are my favorite($60-70). Heinie's and Dawson's probably make up 75% of the aftermarket sights on glocks. A lot of guys also like the buried bomars.

2. Guiderod and springs: The stock rod and spring will work fine for major. If you want to do any load experimentation or shoot at minor for other sports it sure is nice to tailor the gun's movement with the springs. I use a full length steel guide rod with a 15lb spring for major and a 13 lb spring for minor. Stock is 17lbs. Cost ($8 for springs $18 for the GR)

3. Trigger: You can do everything from a .25 cent polishing of all the internals to tweaking and tuning springs to a full blown $200 Vanek. Depends on what you feel you like/need. I like mine in the .25 cent flavor.

4. Magwell: Although it isn't absolutely necessary for reloads I love the way it locks my hand onto my grip. (from JP $60)

5. Barrel: IMO the only reason for barrel replacement would be to constantly shoot lead. Other than that the stock barrel is just fine accuracy wise. BTW not that it is recommended, but several people shoot lead in their stock barrels, they just keep them squeaky clean of any lead buildup. YMMV.

Good luck, Craig

PS let me know if you have any more questions.

It's the best Glock, in my opinion.

Vanek's trigger is the best modification you can do to it.

Ghost Rocket is NOT drop-in and has design quirks that I don't care for. Better to have someone drill & tap for a set-screw trigger stop in the back of the plastic disconnector housing.

You can get by for a while with the Glock adjustable [plastic] sights IF you narrow down the front sight. I used a razor scraper with a new blade to carve off the sides to just-barely wider than the white dot. Green Sharpie over the white dot and blue Sharpie over the white rear outline is nice combo. Not the best but very cheap.

4. Magwell: Although it isn't absolutely necessary for reloads I love the way it locks my hand onto my grip. (from JP $60)

That's exactly what I'm looking for in a magwell. Excellent!

Ghost Rocket is NOT drop-in and has design quirks that I don't care for. Better to have someone drill & tap for a set-screw trigger stop in the back of the plastic disconnector housing.

That's the problem with not knowing a lot about glocks. Good thing you folks are around B) The glocks with triggers I liked were both drilled and tapped. Stupid me figured I'd skip a step with the Ghost Rocket. I've got a Front Sight around here somewhere that details the set screw installation, plus I'm sure I could find it here as well. The .25 trigger job is right up my alley.

Do you guys have a preference on components to get the mags up to 20 rounds? After shooting 7 - 10 round single stacks all my life, the thought of having 19 - 20 rounds in the mag blows my mind. NOT reloading at every opportunity will be a hard habit to break.

Thanks for the help.

You might want to consider Arredondo but then again you might have sticker shock when you find that all the magazine extensions/basepads that are currently available in the market cost more than new standard capacity magazines… <_<

http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi...007A1B0000001B1

New Glock 35 owner here.

As others have said before, the stock adjustable sight on the G35 sucks lollipops. I have a Dawson 0.130" fiber-optic front sight and a Dawson target rear on mine, and that would be my recommendation for a replacement adjustable sight.

The 17-round magazine that the Glock website refers to is probably the standard 15-rounder with the Glock factory +2 floorplate on it. Not much use for USPSA competition, IMO. If you plan on shooting Limited, you'll want some 15-round magazines with Dawson or Arredondo extended floorplates, which will give you 20+1 capacity. If you're planning on doing Production, just get a bunch of factory 15s.

My competition magazines are factory fifteens with Dawson +5 extensions and IMSI springs. They work well and are not terribly expensive ($20 for the magazine, $30 for the extension, I think I paid $6 for the spring.)

The trigger - well, I did a $0.25 polishing job, and dropped in a reduced power striker spring. It's quite shootable, but I'm planning on sending my next one off to Vanek. A 1.5# trigger on a Glock - I just can't resist. :D

- Chris

For sure I've gotten sticker shock at how much a piece of plastic or aluminum can cost when it attaches to a mag. I can almost buy 2 mags for the price of a single +5 extension.

I guess it's the price of being involved in such a specialized sport. After all, it likely costs a fortune to get started up making these extensions, then the manufacturer is only going to sell to a small specialized market.

I'll go with the Dawson extensions. If I'm going to pay a small fortune for the things, I at least want them to be made out of aluminum. Right now the Dawson black extensions are 29.99, so after buying springs they will cost the same as almost anything else. Grams extensions are a bit out of my price range.

At least at the beginning, I think I can get by with a couple of mags with Dawson +5 extensions, 2 or 3 with factory glock +2 extensions, and a 10 round mag as a barney. That way I can shoot maybe 2 stages without having to fill mags.

I'm not planning on doing more than adding a magwell (Glockmeister brass seems like a better choice than the JP aluminum right now) and a .25 trigger job. I'll get a load worked up and epoxy the factory adjustable sight into a fixed sight. Everything else will be added in time as I see a need unless I go ahead and figure Bo-Mar sights are "must have" items (probably so).

JFD,

I'd skip the +2's

You will only need two mags with the Dawson pads to get going. You can add more later if you like. (I think they come with springs too?)

On the adjustable Glock sight...what I hate about it is the garbled sight picture. It is not clean and flat acrossed the top. I don't know that the one I used to have ever came our of adjustment. So, make sure you are putting the epoxy to good use if you go to the trouble. (Heinie Slant Pros ;))

I don't know why I thought they didn't come with springs. I was searching all over and must have gotten "information overload".

With 15 round mags costing anywhere from $20 - $25, there's not any sticker shock there. Not much more than a Power 10 for my L-10 gun. I'm lazy and have around 20 of those. Not much mag loading during practice or matches.

The +2 extensions were just a thought even though a +5 mag and a standard cap mag would give me at least 35 rounds with a single reload. It's going to be wierd not carrying 5 spare mags on the belt. Don't know why I carry 5 anyway. Guess I figure that at the very worse I won't run out of ammo B)

Would it be correct to figure the Glockmeister brass magwell will flair out enough to force my hand higher on the grip? This is my only real concern since the gun points good for me with my hand forced a bit higher. The JP magwell gives me what I want as far as grip, but I thought more weight would be a plus.

Right now half of me wants a G-35 and the other half wants a P-16. The glock may win just because it's different and I see that as an interesting challenge.

my dawson pads came with spings, while they were crappy springs, it came with them.

i just took delivery of brand spankin new glock 15 rounders(they arent even stamped LEO/restricted) im using the standard spring and the dawson pads..it works and holds 19 (20 is real tight)

I must add the new mags are a thing of beauty.

as far as the glock versus para, for the shooting dollar, the glock is a better value.

The main thing the para has going for it is that I've been shooting 1911s for 35 years and there would be very little transition with that switch (from my ss Kimber).

I'm still thinking the glock will win out in the end.