Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What steel targets?

aandabooks

I'd like to buy some steel targets to setup a practice course for steel challenge. Not looking to replicate the exact stages due to cost. I've been looking at 8" because when I look for larger the price goes way up. I'll make wood stands so I can move the around.

Should I get all in one size or buy a variety of sizes? I'll be able to vary distances to add more challenge.

There are a couple sellers on ebay cheaper than the GT prices. I can get 6 3/8" static targets for $60 shipped.

If I can source some proper steel I would just make them myself but at $10 per 8" round I don't know that I could do it any cheaper with the waste.

I shoot magnum targets they are likely the ones aandabooks is talking about except they are even cheaper when you cut ebay out of it. I have been shooting them for about a year with pistol and shotgun only. They do get slight dings with magnum caliber pistols. For the price and lower volume they are worth every penny.... I paid 35ish for 6 soda can sized knockdown targets shipped and 60ish for 6 6inch knockdown circles shipped.

http://magnumtargets.com/

Thanks for the link. He sells on ebay and the prices look to be close to the same. I'd help him keep more of the money by skipping ebay.

Do you think it is beneficial to shoot steel target arrays even if they aren't the stages from Steel Challenge? Why go with the knockover targets? Seems like more work between shooting to set them back up.

That is true. I've learned that lesson the hard way on more than one occasion. I don't mind going cheap on these as I'm a machinist and have a full weld shop next door to shop I teach in. Between the two of us we can fix/repair most things.

My cousin and I are working on the same thing. My feeling with using the same size disc's is aim small, hit small. That way when you get to a steel match, they will look like garbage can lids out there....

After doing some research I am going to make them myself. I can get a 12' stick of 3/8"x8" of A36 for just under $100 delivered to my shop. I can get 16 8" targets out of the stick. Just about $6 each. Figure I can make some 8" circles, a 6" circle and leave some square to weld into 16"x16" plates.

I'll need to figure out what I'm going to mount them to so I can move them around. Probably a 4x4 wood post on some sort of base. I'll want to angle the plates a few degrees to deflect the bullets into the ground.

I'll try to post some pics once I get started. Since this is going to be for rimfire primarily I might just go 1/4" thick. Definately won't be shooting these with rifles or magnum handguns. Maybe 9mm, .45 and .38.

After doing some research I am going to make them myself. I can get a 12' stick of 3/8"x8" of A36 for just under $100 delivered to my shop. I can get 16 8" targets out of the stick. Just about $6 each. Figure I can make some 8" circles, a 6" circle and leave some square to weld into 16"x16" plates.

Make extras and sell them here :).

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot magnum targets they are likely the ones aandabooks is talking about except they are even cheaper when you cut ebay out of it. I have been shooting them for about a year with pistol and shotgun only. They do get slight dings with magnum caliber pistols. For the price and lower volume they are worth every penny.... I paid 35ish for 6 soda can sized knockdown targets shipped and 60ish for 6 6inch knockdown circles shipped.

http://magnumtargets.com/[/quote

Thanks for the link. I ordered a dozen eggs to try out. Told my wife they were her valentines present

Edited by gunnut315