Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minimum Distance for Rifle Steel targets

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5.3.19 Firing a shot at a metal target from a distance of less than 23 feet with a handgun, 147 feet with a rifle, 23 feet with a shotgun when using birdshot or buckshot ammunition, or 147 feet when using slug ammunition. The distance is measured from the face of the target to the nearest part of the competitor’s body in contact with the ground (see Rule [10.1.3]).

Anybody know where 147 feet is derived from?

Can't answer your question with 100% confidence... but I can tell you that 147 feet is just about, nearly, almost exactly 45 meters. USPSA does a lot of metric conversion stuff like this.

And 45 meters is almost exactly close to 50 yds. ?

It's one thing for an individual match who knows the quality of their steel to set up targets close. Setting up rules for a nationwide organization where each club has different quality of props is a bit different. Would I be comfortable shooting MGM steel closer? Sure. Would I be comfortable shooting some dudes recycled plow blade? Not so much. If you have a nationwide org, the rules have to work for everyone. In this case it makes them more restrictive that they could be. But it's better to err on the side of caution. I've seen some incredibly stupid things done at matches. Almost all of them have been matches that don't have a sanction. The MD decides what the rules are and can change them as he sees fit. I don't attend those matches anymore.

It's one thing for an individual match who knows the quality of their steel to set up targets close. Setting up rules for a nationwide organization where each club has different quality of props is a bit different. Would I be comfortable shooting MGM steel closer? Sure. Would I be comfortable shooting some dudes recycled plow blade? Not so much. If you have a nationwide org, the rules have to work for everyone. In this case it makes them more restrictive that they could be. But it's better to err on the side of caution. I've seen some incredibly stupid things done at matches. Almost all of them have been matches that don't have a sanction. The MD decides what the rules are and can change them as he sees fit. I don't attend those matches anymore.

I hear that! Nothing like shooting angle iron and brake rotors!

Well as you know Jesse, from all the major matches you have put on, 50 yards is the distance a SLUG will come back and still have the energy to cause damage. I remeber showing you guys the big old "candy kiss" that had come back 35 yards at one of our matches. Why IPSC and USPSA went with that SHORT of a distance for rifle is beyond me. At Superstition one year a 308 came back 80 yards off a piece of steel and lodged in a shooters jaw with just the base sticking out. On military ranges, with fairly "used up steel" I have seen M 193 55 gr. ball ammo come back at least 70 yards with M855 doing even more distance. I have seen brand new ar 500 plates at the wrong angle send carbine bullets back in the 60-80 yard range. If you are to shoot rifles at steel under 100 yards the palte should angle down at 25-30 degrees!!!!!!

I can only guess that the guys putting on the US Carbine matches are fairly new at this game and will learn about minimum stand off distances after someone goes to the E.R.

Edited by kurtm

I don't recommend anyone try it, my advice is don't, but Jesse you could certainly do a bunch of testing for us and let us all know. I do know that on most military ranges minimum stand off is 50 yards for steel, but that is hardly scientific. I urge you to do a bunch of testing, start real close! :)

I would also like to point out that depending on target design the minimum "recommended" stand off distance can be way too close! Just ask the guys at CMMG this year who got frags into them at 15-20 yards and had to go to the Dr to get them dug out, or ask Erik Lund who had a bullet come back about 15 yards cut his forehead and fracture his skull. The minimum recommended for pistol is 7 meters and all these are pistol bullets we are talking about.

Cast bullets may offer less change of rebound, but would may pose a problem in AR's.

Problems in AR's , or from AR's ?

The reason I ask is because I'm not having any problems shooting cast bullets from any of my AR's. And I'm only pushing 155's at 1200fps max. No gas checks.

I am guessing that your AR is a 308, and if you can run cast at 1200 without leading the barrel and get the performance you require then good for you. Do the longer range targets give you any problems with such a low velocity? Most people are still shooting .223 and would have a harder time keeping thier bores clear, and or getting sufficient performance. I would be curious to see the condition of your gas system after a few thousand rounds, have you had any issues?