Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max FTF help

Zmego

I got a VM about 3 months ago. Since then I have put roughly 700+ rounds through it. Over that 700+ I have had about a dozen FTF. The ammo I have been using is Walmart bulk Federal 1 1/8 #7 1/2 doing 1200 FPS (3 dram).

Here is what I think is happening - I don't think the bolt is "closing" or locking up all the way. When the malfunction occurs the previous fired shell ejects fine, but the new shell that it put into the chamber is not going boom.

Can this be as simple as bad or low powered ammo? I was under the impression that the VM could handle anything. Any and all ideas are welcome.

I am exceptionally frustrated because prior to purchasing the VM I owned a JM Pro. I grew up hunting with a Remington 870 and I couldn't stand the Mossberg quality. When I started getting into 3 Gun the Mossberg was the right price with decent reviews so I decided to go with it. I only owned it for a few months and only put about 700 rounds through it also, however, during that time I had ZERO malfunctions. It ran everything from Walmart bulk to cheap Estate crap and it did it right out of the box. This silly VM was horrible for 3 Gun out of the box and it took a lot of work just to get it to run. When it does run I love it, but 2-3 malfunctions per match is unacceptable.

Please help or please buy my VM!

This is first ive heard of one failing to go into battery. I would suggest polishing the locking lugs or trying different ammo. I have seen several problems with the Walmart bulk ammo feeding problem free in the VM and M2.

"the new shell that goes ino the chamber does not go boom"

Does the trigger reset and you click, hammer falls but no boom? Or does the shell not go completely into the chamber? Have you tried other brands of ammo?

I've run a Vmax since June and have had a couple of times when cheaper shells failed to "feed" but that is easily remedied by running the bolt well lubed. Once in the chamber they all go boom when the hammer falls.

Could this be the extractor relief cut in the barrel not being de-burred?

What do the shells look like that are giving your trouble? Are there gouges in the case that are hanging up? If so, it could be the extractor groove is digging into the case just enough to cause FTF.

My Versa Max Tactical had a replacement barrel sent to me because the factory one that shipped originally with the shotgun was bent. My shotgun starting having intermittent issues were the next shell would go into battery but wouldn't fire when the trigger was pulled, the symptoms seemed like hammer follow so Remington replaced the trigger group. But that didn't fix the problem. I couldn't figure it out until I traded my barrel with another and all my problems went away. Turns out, the barrel extension lug recesses weren't machined to correct tolerance. This meant that the bolt wouldn't lock into battery every time when cycled but when the trigger was pulled, it would hit the rear of the bolt carrier and bump the bolt into full lock up. As a result of the hammer hitting the carrier, the firing pin wasn't being hit by the hammer therefore it wouldn't ignite the primer of the fed shell. The weird part is that your problem just started so it most likely isn't the same problem as I have unless your locking lugs are full of debris like kurtm said. Good luck!

I have a vm and have put several thousands rounds through it and have had zero malfunctions, knock on wood. A buddy of mine was having the same problem you are and I told him to make sure he lubes the gun well. Not just a light coat. Especially with the gas cylinders, pistons, and gas plugs. That seemed to have fixed all his issues. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Check the cam pin like Kurt said. The cam pin on my VM Tactical was gouged and chewed up (bad heat treat?) and was tight getting into battery, but the gun still functioned 100%.

A call to Remington and they sent a new one that I received the other day.

Also check your hammer for peening. If the mushroomed hammer is catching the bolt carrier as it falls, it might be enough to slow it down and not have enough force to set off the primer of the chambered shell.

Mick

Edited by MickB

Well I will throw my 2 cents in. I have a VM and have shot it all season. I have shot literally any cheap shell you can name. Nothing has stopped it. That being said, I shipped mine to Benny Hill new in the box and had him give it his magic spell. So, maybe a call to Benny would be advised. He is in Texas, and his company Is Triangle Shooting Sports. Feel free to tell him I suggested you call. He is also listed on this forum in the Dealer Area. Might just get you fixed in a short order.

Ken

I assume the lube turns into carbon and gums up the pistons?

Mick

Cam pin and hammer checks.

DO NOT lube the gas cylinders, pistons and plugs, unless you want other problems!!!

You are a good assumer. :)

The pistons are self cleaning. They are very hard as are the chambers and are not intended to be lubed. Some of you might remember a certain "Pro" who was cussing the VM at the 2012 SMM3G...He had been putting lube in the VM chambers. If you don't shoot much, and clean them regularly, then it might be fine. Lube also retards the gas system and so the lower recoil loads won't work as well either.