Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mill List

JerryShoots

A few friends have started planning to set up a milling machine for themselves and pals to use. As kinda the shooter of the group they asked my opinion of what to buy for gun work and I drew a complete blank. If I could get a list of the basics like end mills and a vice etc. that would be most helpful. I believe the machine itself is an older Bridgeport that they bought at auction.

If this is a three phase machine and you are trying to set it up in a garage shop that only has single phase, the first thing on my list would be a good three phase converter.

A VFD is way better than a phase converter. It does the PC job plus you can set it up for variable spindle speed and braking. Another plus is VFDs are very quiet. A rotary phase converter is noisy.

You will need a good Kurt style vise, vise stop, set of R8 collets, good drill chuck or 2, set of drills, taps, some end mills, edge finder, dial indicator, micrometer, digital caliper, etc. The list never ends, but you can get the basics and get started and add as the project needs dictate.

I went with a rotary phase converter before the VFD's became popular and affordable. With the rotary motor sitting on the floor of my shop it was extremely noisy. Putting it on a rubber mat made it much quieter but still noisy. I bought the 5 HP model and run my mill and surface grinder off it.

If I had it to do over again, I would go with the VFD.

Pat

A VFD is way better than a phase converter. It does the PC job plus you can set it up for variable spindle speed and braking. Another plus is VFDs are very quiet. A rotary phase converter is noisy.

You will need a good Kurt style vise, vise stop, set of R8 collets, good drill chuck or 2, set of drills, taps, some end mills, edge finder, dial indicator, micrometer, digital caliper, etc. The list never ends, but you can get the basics and get started and add as the project needs dictate.

I am very fond of our Kurt vise and wish we had the swivel base. I would agree on getting a VFD. Literally knew nothing about them in October of 2003.. Went to work managing a factory that month and by December I was programming drives on all the machines and confidently adjusting torque and speed parameters. Great tools, and yes much quieter, lighter, and easier to manage than a phase converter. Also much more versatile. I like Teco/Westinghouse myself. Their tech support is out of Texas, and those guys are great to deal with. Even if you find a used or older model, they usually can help with it.

I too went the VFD route. For me the VFD along with 3 axis DRO was a must. I love my 6'' Kurt vise with swivel base. I was lucky enough to find a tech school that was getting rid of there machining department and got a great vise for a fair price. You and your buds are gonna love having a mill. I find excuses to use mine all the time.

post-19787-0-23229800-1387223214_thumb.j

Edited by donnyglock

Kurt machine vice, R8 collet set, DRO, a cool mist setup would be a nice accessorie as well. Power feeds are nice as stated above but not necessary. Lots of practice material and a good mill selection would be nice too. Have fun. Any questions feel free to pm me.

Thanks for all the insight folks! It occurs to me that since I understand about half of what was said here I may need to find a shop with good machinists and offer up some volunteer time in exchange for their wisdom. Either that or take a class lol. I've printed this thread for my pals and they all expressed their gratitude as well.

The collet chuck set I was referring to was the quick-change type, usually the ER series. I recommend ER40.

No need to buy a set of R8 collets, as the drawbar will last longer, and changing tools will be faster.

Also, buy a Jacobs drill chuck with matching mandrel which can be used with the collet chuck, usually 3/4" straight shank.

Edited by Jediwarrior

There are many types of collet chucks. The ER ones are what I like the best. For a Bridgeport usually 3/4" is normally the biggest shank you will use. The ER 32 collets go to 3/4" and are a lot smaller than the ER 40 which go up to an inch. Sometimes the smaller holder gives more room to get in where you need to go. Also, it's good to have a set of setscrew endmill holders. They are fairly cheap but keep the larger sizes from pulling out on a heavy cut especially in the larger sizes of cutting tool. Those go up to 1-1/2 shank in the R8 series.

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to check YouTube, they always have good machining videos. Check your local community college for tool and die classes, there arent very many machine shops that will take an apprentice, as most are very busy. Unless you have some buddies that have a garage shop.

Thanks for all the insight folks! It occurs to me that since I understand about half of what was said here I may need to find a shop with good machinists and offer up some volunteer time in exchange for their wisdom. Either that or take a class lol. I've printed this thread for my pals and they all expressed their gratitude as well

Lots and lots of youtube. Whatever your project is at the moment almost certainly some one has done it on video. Start with projects that don't cost too much when you have to throw them out due to inexperience(that's how it went for me anyway, and still does sometimes).

You're gonna have alot of fun :cheers:

ETA oh yeah get on some forums for machining. CNCzone, practicalmachinist,etc... Lots of awesome info and stickies out there.

Take care

Kevin

Edited by kevinj308

I'm not a professional machinest and build my first 1911/2011

what I bought

RF 45 clone mill WITH DRO!

ER32 collets

5" Vertex vise

angle plate

some cobalt endmills

parrallels

and those block to hold parts (don't know the exact English word :-) ) (step blocks??)

measuring equipment

and tooling from Brownells (frame bridge cutter, barrel leg cutters, searjigs, files...

books, DVD's...

and lots of good advise from proffesional gunsmiths who share there knowledge (for FREE) !!!

gr Tom

Belgium

gr T

gr T

• 3 weeks later...

Another great forum is the Home Shop Machinist forum. It's a lot like the BE forums with people that have wide ranging knowledge of many different areas.

The Home Shop Machinist is also a very civilized site. If your a newbie you won't get harassed and as Toolguy said, lot's of good knowledge there.

Pat