Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on S&W M&P AR15s - 3 Gun Back Up

Blue Jacket

I need to start this by saying i have a Stag 3G with Burris XTR I use for three gun which I really like.

I was thinking of picking up a carbine to possibly use as a back up 3gun and informal shooting. So this wouldn't be my dedicated 3 gun. I was looking at the S&W M&P Tactical. It has a FF quad rail and 16 inch barrel. You don't hear much about smiths so I was just wondering what the consensus was. I can pick it up for about $900 and wasn't really looking to spend much more than that. Is there something else I should consider?

Thanks

We sell a lot of Smiths at my shop and I find them to be very high quality rifles. We use two of the Sports, their lowest cost model, as rental guns and they have held up well. The first one started key-holing after 15,000+ rounds and Smith replaced barrel under their lifetime warrany.

Trigger pulls are universally poor, though that is the only thing they come into our shop for. Hammers do not always function with the JP trigger upgrade, so unless you buy a complete trigger group you may need a new hammer. Otherwise, the ones I have evaluated seem solid.

Tom

Get the Rock River 2-stage and don't look back. They get better everytime you shoot them.

I have a 20" Performance Center AR and I am certain it came with that trigger. It is better than my son's Geissele SSA that has a lot of rounds on it.

I even put a Rock River in my M&P 15-22.

It is the least expensive quality AR trigger available.

I really like my S&W M&P 15, fit and finish is good for the price, it has been very reliable, trigger was so so stock so I put a AR Gold in it and it is really nice now. Mine had the high cocking line where the hammer would not reset after firing so I had to go with the taller 308 hammer and it fixed the problem great.