Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is a custom gun?

Hello

Without mentioning the builders name I have a good idea who you are talking about as this is a fairly common response when a customer has an issue. If you where to mention the name fans would come out in droves to support the builder which 90% of which have never bought a gun from them anyway

And that is what is wrong with forums. Too many nut huggers who will not call people out on their sh*t when necessary.

Edit: I am not speaking to you directly, just in general regarding those "fans" you speak of.

Edited by JaeOne3345

here is my advice... get all the options and your build sheet in writing.

True dat!

I just went to Matt Cheely's web site, I don't know him, never shot one of his guns, but man that website is da bomb! Drop down menus for everything... I bet this guy delivers what you request and a quick screen print would confirm your agreement. Nice job! Someone could probably learn something from this.

Matt is a stand up guy that will build what you want and it will run, no questions asked.

Like the title says: What is a custom gun? Is it a gun that is built to a customer’s specification or is it a really cool gun built the way a particular gun builder wants?

I have had two open guns built recently that were deemed custom by the builder, but yet he totally disregarded my requests even down to the color. When confronted I was given the blow off and told I am difficult and that I received a discount, so I should take what I get. These were not cheap guns I'm into them in the vicinity of 9k, for me a large amount of money.

No I don't believe custom means built to your exact specs. But what I do think it means is that the builder will discus what works for you, things like balance and size and work those custom features into those non-function critical areas. I also think he should give you the freedom to make changes to no critical areas, such as controls, safeties, slide racker, scope mount, sights, thumb rest, maybe even slide cuts, but most defiantly finish and color!

My intent is not to bash or badmouth this builder, I like this guy and I like shooting his guns! My hope is that he will read this and grow into a custom builder instead of a cookie cutter design, all be it a cool cookie.

Is this custom or am I just difficult?

Sounds like a Dictator not a Custom gun builder. If you said "I want X and I am willing to pay for it" And he said "OK" and took your money he is hugely in the wrong.

If the builder didn't want to do it, then he should have refused to take the job.

Agree. Big difference between the smith saying he would do something and not doing it v. a smith being upfront about what he would and would not do,

Without mentioning the builders name I have a good idea who you are talking about as this is a fairly common response when a customer has an issue. If you where to mention the name fans would come out in droves to support the builder which 90% of which have never bought a gun from them anyway

And that is what is wrong with forums. Too many nut huggers who will not call people out on their sh*t when necessary.

Edit: I am not speaking to you directly, just in general regarding those "fans" you speak of.

I agree with you whole heartedly and I’m not usually one to bite my own tongue; however, opinions can get you banned pretty easily around here and I am trying to turn over a new leaf by showing respect to this forum. I have learned a lot here and I would like to stay and hopefully help others, so I am trying to keep things constructive without any personal attacks, although sometimes it can be tough.

No condescension intended; you are the type of person this world needs more of.

I had a similar experience with my first open gun. I asked for certain parts to be ionbonded, others to be left silver and for a Dawson Cmore mount. When it arrived, it was all black with a Serendipity (sp) mount. It ran fine and I ended up liking the color afterall, but it was not what I asked for.

I like the way Infinity does it. The gunbuilder lets you pick virtually every possible option and then you can add whatever additional custom features want/need. Of course, some people don't consider Infinity custom becaue they only use their parts. But, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Interesting, one day and over 500 views and I have been contacted by a couple smiths that know me… I must have struck a chord. Guess this is everyone’s chance to tell them what you want in your “Custom” blaster and more importantly how you hope to be treated. They are listening, but then again the good ones don’t need to be told.

The same type of crap happens in the auto/racing world as well. Too many builders have the "eff you, go elsewhere if you don't like it" attitude. And nobody ever checks them on it. I don't handle business like that. If I am paying money, and I do not get what I asked for, umm..we're gonna have problems.

With these niche services, people get away with wayyyyy too much crap, because consumers don't have many options.

I am grateful that my builder is local and runs my weekly match. He is 20 minutes away so communication is great. I plan on sticking with smaller/no name builders from now on.

Edited by JaeOne3345

i dont know

i build custom homes i will not build something ugly because the home owner wants it

after all my name is still on it. they can find another builder.

If you would not build my home to suit my taste and wants I would be more than happy to take my cash elsewhere.

That is the beautiful thing about the free market, you are free to turn down cash and I am free not to give it to you.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

i dont know

i build custom homes i will not build something ugly because the home owner wants it

after all my name is still on it. they can find another builder.

If you would not build my home to suit my taste and wants I would be more than happy to take my cash elsewhere.

That is the beautiful thing about the free market, you are free to turn down cash and I am free not to give it to you.

and no hard feelings on either side

Not at all as long as it is discussed up front. Now if you agreed to do it my way and then delivered a house that was not to my spec now we have an issue.

then I would be wrong because if this happend I would be out of business in short order.

in building homes it is mostly word of mouth

The last gun I had built by my gunsmith a 2011 Limited 40 bushing barrel, we talked back and forth for a couple of months ( fortunately he is only 21 miles from my house and I visited many times). When we finally agreed on everything then the build began. I got to design the flat top slide on AutoCAD as far as serrations on the flat top, rear of slide cocking serrations, and the concave groove on the flat top with popple holes that are not drilled completely thru the slid and that are in the concave groove. Gun was also hard chromed satin finish with polished ambi-safety, D&T mag release, slide release, and hammer. My gunsmith has been building competition guns for 25 years and it was a give and take based on what would function the best, last the longest, (no mim parts) and for the gun to go bang all the time. He also re-tuned my 5 Brazo mags for the gun and the OAL I use on my reloads. As far as I'm concerned this was a custom gun. Maybe to some no, but to me yes.