Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Suggestion for Sig 1911 - Paper shooting

dforeid

Folks,

I have been loading 230 FMJ RNs from Precision Delta. I am just shooting paper at the range and want to look into something else. I am considering 185 SWC. Do you folks have a brand you would suggest that is somewhat available? Precision is months behind - at least on their 230 FMJs. I have also read there are some issues with their X-Treme 200 SWCs (which I have 1000 rounds of and have not loaded) in the 1911s.

Are 185 SWCs maybe not the best choice for target shooting? If not, do you have any other ideas.... I am indoors, so need FMJ or plated.

I am new to reloading - done about 1000 or so rounds now with y 550B.

Thanks for any help and suggestions you may have.....

Don

If you can use cast/swaged lead, then look into 200gn L-SWCs from mastercastbullets.com, Missouri Bullets, Penn Bullets, Precision Bullets (moly-koted), Bayou Bullets (?-koted), Zero Bullets (Powder Valley had them in stock last week), or Precision Delta.

I haven't had the accuracy with 185 or 230 grain bullets that I get with the 200gn L-SWC.

Load the SWCs to just touch the lede/rifling of the barrel.

I run a 4 year old SIG STX.

I use Lead either plain or coated i.e. Bayou or now SnS coated bullets COL 1.255 to 1.265

230 LRN for uspsa SS and IDPA CDP

200 LSW very accurate and cuts a very nice hole in the target and feeds well COL 1.250

185s I've not had good fortune with in 35 years of reloading mostly feeding problems

My colt 1911 did NOT like the x treme 200 SWC's at all. All sorts of feeding issues. I stick with RN for everything. 230 , 200 and 185 . For moly coated , I like the bear creek 200 RN, and i've heard good things about SNS and BBI ( black bullet )

Except for Bullseye Leg (EIC) matches that require a 230 FMJ, I don't think I've fired anything but lead 200 SWCs in .45 for at least 25 years. If a 45 won't shoot that load, and shoot it well, I sell the gun.

Mark

Fan of KISS Principle

My colt 1911 did NOT like the x treme 200 SWC's at all. All sorts of feeding issues. I stick with RN for everything. 230 , 200 and 185 . For moly coated , I like the bear creek 200 RN, and i've heard good things about SNS and BBI ( black bullet )

Same for my Remington 1911 with xtreme plated 200 SWC's. Sticking with 230 RN for now, may try coated LSWC sometime.

I load the LSWC 200gn exclusively. I have found it to be the most accurate bullet in any .45 I've tried them in. I haven't had a feed problem with this bullet profile in any of my 1911s in the past 20yrs. These bullets loaded to the proper OAL and crimped correctly should run in any 1911 of current manufacture. If not, the gun needs attention. I'm currently running the Missouri Bullets 200gn LSWC with good results.Can't help you with a plated/jacketed bullet recommendation, I haven't loaded those in quite some time. Good luck!