Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need tips to quiet my mind

DaveInHawaii

Hi,

I'm reading Brian's book and it is awesome. (Thank you for letting me know it's OK to place my trigger finger where it likes to be and I don't have to put the death grip on my revolver.)

Could you guys please share some tips about what works to quiet your thoughts while shooting for small groups (bullseye style shooting).

I want to be present but my thoughts don't stay quiet for very long.

This concept of total awareness is new to me. I'm sure you guys have some techniques that have helped you quiet your mind and be present. I would appreciate your tips.

Thank you very much,

Dave

Good suggestions already but I'll add my $0.02

I believe that concentration is a skill. It has to be practiced just like your shooting does. Realize that it will be something that you wake up happy with one morning. It sounds cheesy but start with some short meditation or body/breathing awareness and build from there!

Concentration, focus, and lots of other mental skills can be trained. Every day science is expanding the assessment of things we understand can be "learned".

Mr. BE's drill he's linked to is famous. I've seen it lots of places, probably the first time was in Shunryu Suzuki's excellent book on Shoshin. Most recently, in an abbreviated format, recommend by Dave Grossman LTC, Ret. as "Combat Breathing". For what it's worth, it's worked for me.

Mindfulness is a complex subject to the outsider looking in, but breathing is as good a place to start as anywhere, I suppose. Elephants are consumed one bite, or breath, at a time. Jon Kabat-Zin's work is also quite "reachable" by a general audience - and a lot more fun when applied to bullet-based pursuits.

• 2 weeks later...

"...be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Be water, my friend" ~Bruce Lee

Meditation helps. Any kind that works for you be it exercise, prayer, or just breathing.

Edited by LilBunniFuFu