Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon friendly pistol powders

When I started reloading, the only powder I could find was Alliant Blue Dot. I found it to be a bit too into jumping out of the cases as they index on my 650. After going through a pound of that, I switched to Alliant Power Pistol. I've since gone through many, many pounds of that and have found it to be very Dillon-friendly, both in consistent dispensing as well as not filling cases too high and being prone to jumping out.

But, Power Pistol seems to be hard to come by, and I'm down to my last pound. I need to suck it up and try some other powders and get more load data so that I'm not held hostage by limited inventory. My quest deals specifically only with loading 147gr LTC 9mm. Can anyone offer suggestions on other powders to keep an eye out for when I see the Power Pistol cupboards are bare?

Thank you

TG meters great.

I have been wanting to try some American Select or Solo 1000 for some suppressor loads(fast, single base) but both are flake powders and I am not sold on the dillon's measuring flake powders all that well, but I guess for what I am trying to do with them, it wont matter if its .1 or .2 off.

Now when I'm at my local place, I will reference this thread when I see they're out of Power Pistol. Thanks y'all. I sometimes take field trips to some places that have a much better inventory, but I want to make sure that I don't have another trip of them having only a few one pound cans of Power Pistol and me not knowing what else to get instead.

Winchester 231/HP 38 same powder, Titegroup, RedDot, Clays. I like Solo 1000 in 9mm with heavier bullets but it is a light flake powder that will spill on the shell plate and slow rapidly when outside temps rise. Soft shooting and accurate though. Solo varies lot to lot so Chronograph work required when changing lots or season changes.

Hard to beat N320 but a little pricey for practice rounds.

Trying Solo 1000 try polishing the powder funnel on the inside helps stop bridging. I polished all my funnels along with the bearing kit worth the money and effort. Used Simichrome polish bought it at a motorcycle shop local.