Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoe Review

Sterling White

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a pair of these

I have had a pair of Merrell boots for awhile and like them alot. These are obviously lower cut but are also super light. The outsole is pretty aggressive; not a cleat but more substantial than a typical 'waffle' type. I haven't had a chance to wear them anywhere but around the house, but the price is right and if they don't work on the range I will just use them to knock around in.

The Oakley SI boots are cool, Plus they are cheaper in Europe :D

But I've never used them on wet grass, I'm curious to see how they would perform, but I ain't gonna wait the next match to check it out :P

I have more confidence in my Adidas cleats for that type of ground.

Julien,

Just so you know, my staff and I were just issued the Oakley SI boot, and they're slicker than whale snot on wet surfaces. I was VERY surprised. They're pretty comfortable, but I wouldn't consider them for anything but gravel or dry dirt.

Phil

Phil,

Have you tried being sneaky on wet tile or linoleum in the Oakley's? The squeaks will make you deaf. I love their comfort but our team could not make them work if for any kind of stealth approach if there was moisture involved.

Craig

• 3 months later...

End of year report on Bates Scouts. Got these from the Sportsman Guide when they had them for less than $40. The sole is similar to the GSG9's thus excellent traction in most surfaces. For local, 1/2 day matches they work great but I just can't stand using them for more than one day in a row. My feet hurt way too bad after a 2 day match wearing these.

I'm going back to hikers, no more tacti-shoes for me. Already breaking in my new pair of New Balance 851 Hikers. These will see action for the first time at Area 6.

Cheers!

I've got the Oakley's and have used them for work for about 1 1/2 years. The comfort is great from day one, and the most everything about them is great-good. But, on wet surfaces flat surfaces, ie tile, they are slick and do make some noise. But, GSG9's were just as bad or worse on flat wet surfaces. The minute you hit tile or linoleum, you slid like a roller blader and they were noisy also.

GSG9's were not too bad on wet grass, but the Oakely's are a little worse on wet grass. Over all, I'd say there isn't anything I've tried yet that is good-great on ALL surfaces, some better than others on some surfaces, but horrible on other surfaces. Personal choice.

I really liked my GSG9's, but shooting all day in them was pure torture. My dogs were screaming when we were done. They were good, but not worth the torture.

End of year report on Bates Scouts.  Got these from the Sportsman Guide when they had them for less than $40.  The sole is similar to the GSG9's thus excellent traction in most surfaces.  For local, 1/2 day matches they work great but I just can't stand using them for more than one day in a row.  My feet hurt way too bad after a 2 day match wearing these.

First time I put on the Scouts I knew the insoles had to go. I've been wearing 'em now for a while and haven't had achy feet (like I did with the Merrel boots or Nike cleats I previously wore) at the end of a match since.

They do like to hold on to mud and such, but it comes out relatively easily. When wet, they are pretty slick on tile or linoleum, but I have yet to find a match facility that has one shooting on either of those surfaces.

I received a pair of the new 5.11 boots about two weeks ago. They are definatly the most comfortable boots I have had to wear all day at the range. I have used them in almost every surface condition except wet grass.

Great support, great insole, very lite, and so far, no traction issues.

By coincidence, I was wearing some approach shoes the last time I went shooting. They're intended to be worn on the approach to a rock climb. Thus the term. As such, they've got a nice tread for hiking, and very sticky rubber for scrambling and climbing. They provide excellent footing on any kind of coarse hard surface like asphalt or concrete. I also discovered that they work really well for Richmond gravel, which I think is coarse gypsum. I was able to make a hard turn that several people almost took a spill on. Given that the soles are made of climbing rubber, they would wear out very quickly if used for much else.

They're called 5.10 Mountain Masters. Yes, that's 5.10, not 5.11, which was once Royal Robbins, who used to be a climber and made climbing gear before making tactical gear. 5.10 mostly just makes climbing shoes.

I recently got a set of Columbia Black Rock hiking shoes and they seem to be working well. The center of the sole has extremely soft cleats which work well on slick hard surfaces and the edges of the sole are harder which works well on soft soil and grass. They are a little heavier than a running shoe but aren't as heavy as my GSG9's. I think I paid about $59 (on sale) at Oshman's Sporting Goods. Here is a website that shows a picture of them www.zappos.com/n/p?dp=887997.