Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who can I get to weld me a Caspian big stick?

Northern Xtreme

Jim Anglin made me a couple 170mm mags from four old style 19 round mags I supplied. He welded them, modified them to use a Dawson sti/sv tool-less basepad, installed a Grams Engineering spring/follower, and tuned them. Each will hold 29 rounds, and they fit the mag gauge perfectly with no room to spare. Great functioning and reliability. The best way to contact Jim is to call him at Sailor’s Custom pistols in the afternoon.

If you have new style mags (the ones with the quick change base pad) you want welded up, you might be better off talking to Gary Smith at Caspian and buying the 170mm mags Caspian sells. I have several of these and the quality of the welding is very good, come with the quick change base pad, and a Grams Engineering follower/spring. I believe Caspian sells these for about $125. You can’t buy two 140mm mags and a Grams follower/spring for that much. In my experience these have to be tweaked/tuned to run reliably, but if you are successfully running the new style 140mm mags with the quick change base pads just do the same tuning to the 170mm mags that you did to the new style 140mm mags. Once tuned, these are a very good mag. They will hold 28 (maybe 29) reloadable and are very robust and are super easy to disassemble to clean. I use these for when I’m dropping a 170mm or when I am reloading to a 170mm mag. You can step on these new style mags and not have to worry about any damage to them. I’m pretty sure Caspian had a bunch of the 170mm mags made to take to the Area 2 match which was just held and probably have some left over.

There are other places that will weld up your mags, but the two above are the ones I have firsthand experience with.

Highercapacity.com, Rich at Canyon Creek (I believe), and a welding company (Precision welding? Not sure - The name escapes me right now) are other sources I’ve heard people use.

I’m pretty sure Caspian had a bunch of the 170mm mags made to take to the Area 2 match which was just held and probably have some left over.

They had several on their table Sunday at about noon. (Some 38 Super and some 40)

(Edited to note types)

Edited by GuildSF4