Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which shotshell caddy?

melissa5

Newbie here trying to get ready for my first match. I like the idea of loading 2 by dropping one in and pushing with the other shell, but I like the idea of using 4x4's or a 6 shell caddy. So, if I pull out two shells, will the other two or fours shells stay in the caddy or come flying out?

I started out with the 4 shell caddies and they do not fall out when running around the stage. They take a little practice but after watching some videos and practicing loading, it becomes easier. I do wish I would have gotten the 4X4's instead, just because they hold more rounds and take up less real estate on my belt. I recently got the quad loads by Taccom and I have tried loading two at a time with the shells sitting on a table and found it to be almost twice as fast than the 4 horizontal shell caddy. I have yet to try out my Taccom quad load system but will give it a whirl tomorrow.

So now, I have tried to become good at all methods as I will use the Taccom loaders, which hold 16 rounds total but will also have a four shell caddy on my non-gun side near the front and two more behind my gun. I hope I didn't confuse you more and keep in mind, I am still fairly new at the 3 gun game. Good luck.

For a new 3 gunner, get a couple Choate 6 shell caddies. Only about $20 each. That will get you started, and you can learn weak hand loading. Then see what you like at the matches and go from there. You don't want to spend a bunch, and then find you don't like the caddy you bought. Plenty of shooters will let you try their caddy, and even teach you how to best use it. Load 2 has a short learning curve, after you find a caddy you like. Load 4 is similar. But you will never be wrong learning weak hand.

For me, I have an eight round tube and I do my best to not let it run dry so the 6 round caddys work fine. If I had a nine or ten round tube, I would definately get the 4 shell caddys. That's my reasoning anyway.

It sure seems like "Load2" strong hand is the answer for me.

But what is the best value system and where does one buy it?

Any such thing as 'previously loved' for cheaper?

Check out Taccom. They do everything that the others do but they look like broom holders. Great value, though. Just not as sexy as the AP Custom.

I watched a video of Lena Miculek using the load 2 method and she was really fast. I tried load 2 and was not so fast. Anyway, I had $21 in Cabela's points so I bought an AP Custom 4x4 and will be looking for a good deal on a L2/4. Also, I'll be loading strong hand. :)

I'm kinda in the same situation. Went to my first match and borrowed 2 chaote 6 shell caddies and ended up buying them. Used them again yesterday but didn't have much reloading to do. Lots of guys had the load 2's and I ask lots of questions and watched them load. Most of the guys i saw had the AP or Carbon Arms. I think I want to try the Taccom 8ups do to cost.

I started with the Choate six shell caddies because they were cheap and available. After getting them and using them I found that my short-fingered, beefy hands don't do four shells, I am a three-shell weak hand loader so I got two grabs out each Choate and it worked well. I soon decided to try load-2 and ordered the Chameleon belt. I LOVE IT! I am a "full-figured" competitor so got the large size and ended up taking three of the shell holders off the far left as they were under my armpit and interferred with my rifle mag. I still use the Choates when I need a few more shells and an armband is not the answer (rarely). I really want one or two of the 3X3 holders but can't justify the cost for the few occasions I might use one. I could probably sell my Choates for enough to by the 3X3 though!

One note on ditching the Chameleon, I have actually done this a few times on a long stage where climbing and skinnying over stuff was called for after abandoning the shotgun. But I just yesterday had the thought that in less time and trouble than ripping it off I could just slide it around backwards, I need to try it.

So, to answer your question, you will probably need/want some caddies anyway so go ahead and get some. But you also will probably end up in the load-2 camp some day anyway!