Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 OAL 2 different guns

frankge

Hi,

Need some advice... Just got a Brazos STI and intended to sell my G35 - so my son shoots it in a match and now wants to shoot LTD. No problem keeping the gun I'd prefer to not load two lengths for two different guns. Shot a major match this weekend with my Glock loads @ 1.135 and the STI ate them 100%. My friend who sold it to me said it ran WWB with no issue.

Question is do I lose anything at this length in the STI? I'm not looking for that gnat's ass accuracy difference, I'm the culprit there. I'm talking power factor and reliability from those that do it.

I run 180 Precision D's or MG's with titegroup and now e3 for the time being. Will keep using Federal primers.

Thanks!

As long as it feeds, you should be good to go Frank. Test it out on the evening matches for a while before taking it to the bigger matches, just to make sure. Congrats on the new limited gun!

The other thing is, you need to compare chrono results from both to know they will both make PF.

Mike

This morning I shot 1.125 OAL reloads that I loaded a couple of year ago when I was shooting a Glock (.40). both of my 2011 guns ran the short length rounds without a hiccup. I have loaded .40 Glock out to 1.150 so as to run both platforms. I got to0 that length by tailoring the reload length to what would function in the magazine.

I run a Para and STI 2011. I can run the STI at 1.200 the Para at 1.180. I've started loading everything at 1.180. No problems both loads shoot same POI and feel the same. Chrono is with in 7fps.

So I don't think it matters what oal you use as long as its safe with that powder short and it feeds in the gun!!!

Appreciate the warning. I've done quite a bit of testing and research on using e3. I've run close to 3000 rounds loaded short @ 1.135. e3 is similar in burn speed but pressure characteristics are not the same (almost like titegroup IMO). It does not spike as quickly as does clays. Burn speed is sometimes misleading, although a good indicator, but ultimately it is not a standard to judge absolute pressure characteristics which will also be different each different caliber.

I've run now about 500 rounds through my Brazos and it has functioned flawlessly with the shorter OAL.

The purpose of loading long is to reduce the pressure spike within the cartridge. In a sense it lowers the pressure spike by spreading out the pressure curve a bit. But it also requires a bit more powder to achieve similar velocities in cartridges loaded to factory length.

And in some 2011 mags, the longer length helps take up the extra space in the mags, thereby keeping the rounds from moving so much within the mags.

So if they already function fine with the short lengths, and you want to stick with just one load for both guns, you're gtg.