Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA LEGAL?

dskinsler83

Well I'm sorry but "slide lightening" in my opinion does nothing to give anyone an advantage. You can spring a gun to run pretty close to a lightened slide anyway. I agree with Corey there isn't much difference in this than snake belly cuts on a 1911 or M&P in my opinion.

Anyways I'm waiting to hear from HQ which is why I started the thread to see whom I needed to contact. IDPA deff doesn't answer questions as fast as asking J. Amindon a question in regards to USPSA equipment.

Ssp legal no. ESP. Absolutely in my opinion. How would that be any different than some of the cocking serrations on some of the 1911s floating around IDPA?

You don't see cocking serrations on 1911's wrapping around the slide.

Well I'm sorry but "slide lightening" in my opinion does nothing to give anyone an advantage. You can spring a gun to run pretty close to a lightened slide anyway. I agree with Corey there isn't much difference in this than snake belly cuts on a 1911 or M&P in my opinion.

Anyways I'm waiting to hear from HQ which is why I started the thread to see whom I needed to contact. IDPA deff doesn't answer questions as fast as asking J. Amindon a question in regards to USPSA equipment.

I've never shot or handled a limited gun, so I couldn't begin to go over the pros and cons of slide lightening. But I'd imagine in the hands of a skilled shooter, a lightened slide could give them a competitive advantage.

Ssp legal no. ESP. Absolutely in my opinion. How would that be any different than some of the cocking serrations on some of the 1911s floating around IDPA?

You don't see cocking serrations on 1911's wrapping around the slide.

Cocking, no, but there's a number of different ways of engraving the top of the slide to provide less glare. If we really want to see what's IDPA legal we can check Wilson's website.

You don't see cocking serrations on 1911's wrapping around the slide

"Browning HIGHPOWER" cuts wrap all the way around a slide. Plus I've seen plenty more "decorative" cuts on 1911s that are worse than that in IDPA.

Edited by steel1212

I think this should answer your question about the glock slide.

Rule 8.2.3.3.2. Removal of material from the exterior of the slide other than front cocking serrations, tri-top, engraving, carry melts, and high power cuts.

This was posted in the quarterly updates. You may have already received the email.

Ok so had to go back and read the clarrifications. SO on a custom 1911 they can't have rear cocking serrations, Sights? I mean if I buy a bald slide I can't remove material from it right? Yes I understand that obviously sights are ok but if your going to have a list then damn well list them all. Its pretty bad when their clarifications need clarifying!!

Clearly I don't make the rules.

When you go and customize your factory gun, I'm pretty sure you already have sights cut and rear cocking serrations. Most of us aren't having custom built 1911/2011 done. So those of us with factory 1911's may opt to have some slide work done. The rules state popular modifications that most may want to have done. That's just how I see it.

FYI, high power cuts don't wrap around the slide. They go up the flats.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=132387

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this is from IDPA glossary "Slide, lightening: Removal of portions of the slide to gain a competitive advantage." none of that is what this pattern is in the slide i wanna have done.

Also from IDPA ESP inclusive permissible modifications "16. Customization of the slide by adding front cocking serrations, engraving, tri-top, carry melts and high power cuts." stated slide is engraved, snake bellied, tri-topped, serrated

Edited by dskinsler83

There is no longer an IDPA glossary and there is no specific prohibition against slide lightening.

I would defend internal lightening recesses a la 1957 Gold Cup as 8.2.2.2.6 Reliability Work, especially on a 1911ish ESP.

See you figure the latest rules would be at IDPA HQ online and would takeout a glossary if no longer using it.

Are you saying try to use that ruling above to say it should be legal or not Jim? Personally I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Like I said, I would defend internal weight reduction as "reliability work" but I don't know if that would be accepted by the typical MD. But then would he notice it or even know what it was? I have not heard of anybody doing real tech inspections. If it weighs less than the maximum, it has passed everywhere I have shot.

There is no longer an IDPA glossary and there is no specific prohibition against slide lightening.

I would defend internal lightening recesses a la 1957 Gold Cup as 8.2.2.2.6 Reliability Work, especially on a 1911ish ESP.

8.2.2.3.2 (quoted previously) seems to be a specific prohibition against externally visible slide lightening. Interesting that they use the word exterior in the rule, maybe to keep them out of the 'dissassemble and prove it' game?

IT IS NOT LIGHTENING FOR PETE SAKES LOL

I don't have a dog in the fight and would like to see the rule just go away.

That said, seems like if you start out with x ounces of metal then grind a bit and end up with less than x ounces of metal most folks would think that less than x ounces was lighter than x ounces.