Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL Case Feeder problem with 38/357 brass - not getting to the gate

techj

I've been reloading other pistol calibers (9, 44, 45) using the case feeder without a hitch.

But with 38/357 brass it takes FOREVER for the brass to get to the feed tube.

I started with the recommended large pistol feeder plate but nothing would ever get to the gate. With the small pistol plate some get to the tube but it can't keep up even when I manually load the tube initially and I'm not going very fast.

Any ideas/suggestion?

How many cases do you have in the hopper?

Not enough or too many can cause issues.

Is the plate slipping, if so, the CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT is the two screws on the plate?

Is the COMPLETELY PLATE down on the driving mechanism, not up some as a CASE UNDER the plate some?

Something I don't remember when I had my Hornady case feeder, that the Dillon case feeder comes with...

There's a big arse washer you put under the large pistol case plate to space it up for longer cases. I've found that it works with short or long cases just fine. Dillon/Hornady use the same pistol plates, so you should be able to find a washer pretty easily. The washer is NOT a proprietary item to Dillon.

I use the Small pistol plate for 9mm and smaller. Use the large for .40, 38/357, 44, 45.

I think you will find that the washer will help your issue.

The plate is not slipping and is fully down...I've tried it with both a handful of cases as well as a 100 at a time.

I've never seen (or used) a washer under the large pistol case but will look into it. I've had no problems with using it as-is with my 44 & 45 cases.

Just double-checked and there are no cases stuck. Also just tried a handful of 44 cases and they work fine.

How quickly is it loading the tube for you? It eventually loads the tube for me but it takes a very, very long time.

I just started loading 38 Special (been reloading 9MM & 45ACP for years).

I did notice the 38 Special cases were slow to load up the tube (with both shell plates Small and Large) but got there reliably; I will have to look into the "washer"

My issue is past the tube, I have brass jamming at the funnel, and sometimes 2 pieces of brass drop instead of one. I adjusted it but this issue still continues (abount once every 10-25 pulls).

I can not get close to the speed of loading 9mm or 45acp.

I assumed everyone had this issue due to the design but I was amazed no one else seem to be having it...??

Thank god I rarely shoot much 38 special.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I called Hornady and explained my situation with the case feeder and 357 magnums. The tech stated that he hadn't heard of this problem but would get back to me.

The next day I received 2 calls -- one to have me describe my case feeder and the shape of the top of the support arm. The second call was to let me know that they were sending me a newer version of the case feeder...no charge and no need to return the original.

Yesterday I received a brand new case feeder and support arm. It is quite different looking than the one I had...after installing it there was definitely a more pronounced angle inside of the feeder.

Long story short, my 357 mag cases now feed about as fast as I can operate the press so I'm a very happy camper.

I am having the same issue only with 38 Special.....

I am dying to know what they sent you to fix the "issue"?

Don't take this the wrong way but I see this as a blessing someone besides me had this issue and GOT A FIX from Hornady!

Please provide a picture if possible and part numbers.

I am happy Hornady took care of your issue. My communication skills need to be worked on apparently as I had no such luck when I called Big RED.

I will follow up with them again Monday.

Looking to be another Happy Camper!

What they sent me was a complete case feeder assembly (motor included) and support arm. The part # (from the packing list) for the new case feeder is 095300W. There was no part #/packing list entry for the new support arm.

The old support arm had a square top and the new one is angled. The old case feeder had a clear plastic front and the new one only has a small plastic front. If I get a chance I'll get some pix.

I'd guess that you have to find the right tech to talk to (I probably got lucky) and explain as I did that all of my other cases (I also reload for 9, 45, 44, 30.06 & 308) were feeding fine and it was only the 38/357 cases that would take forever to feed. FYI -- it was the same whether I tried the large pistol plate or the small pistol plate. Also, as I'm sure you know, being nice and asking them how to fix it will usually result in them being more helpful versus insisting on a specific fix or demanding something...just human nature.

Also, I've read on forums where people with similar problems used the Dillon approach -- Dillon uses a similar case feeder and supplies a spacer washer for use either 357 & 44 mag cases to raise the plate slightly. I was going to try that if Hornady hadn't come through for me.

What they sent me was a complete case feeder assembly (motor included) and support arm. The part # (from the packing list) for the new case feeder is 095300W. There was no part #/packing list entry for the new support arm.

The old support arm had a square top and the new one is angled. The old case feeder had a clear plastic front and the new one only has a small plastic front. If I get a chance I'll get some pix.

I'd guess that you have to find the right tech to talk to (I probably got lucky) and explain as I did that all of my other cases (I also reload for 9, 45, 44, 30.06 & 308) were feeding fine and it was only the 38/357 cases that would take forever to feed. FYI -- it was the same whether I tried the large pistol plate or the small pistol plate. Also, as I'm sure you know, being nice and asking them how to fix it will usually result in them being more helpful versus insisting on a specific fix or demanding something...just human nature.

Also, I've read on forums where people with similar problems used the Dillon approach -- Dillon uses a similar case feeder and supplies a spacer washer for use either 357 & 44 mag cases to raise the plate slightly. I was going to try that if Hornady hadn't come through for me.

Can you post a pic of the case feeders?

Interesting. Here's a pic of my current reloading bench, with somewhat new case feeder - is this the 'old one' or 'new one' compared to yours?

13xCdZK.jpg

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar...

That's the new one compared to what I had.

As you still have the original, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to know the differences you see, as well as if it resolved your issue?

For me, it seems I have the new one, but still like to add to my 'LnL collection of notes' to help people out when possible..

OK, finally had a chance to take a quick pic of the old vs. the new (see attachments)...the old one should appear first. FYI - the old one was photographed on my bench and the new one is shown mounted.

Primary differences are the front where the old has a molded plastic funnel area whereas the new has a true funnel and the more extreme angle on the new. The new one comes with a different support arm that has a sharp angle on it vs. the straight end on the old one.

The case plates and drop tubes did not change (and were not included with the replacement).

I have only tried it with 357 magnum cases and it solved the problem... they now feed just about as fast as I can operate the press so I'm happy.

post-42631-0-87614900-1385766331_thumb.j

post-42631-0-57964200-1385766345_thumb.j

Thanks for the pics.

If you look at both of them, it seems the new one is much more cleanly aligned with the right hand side of the drop tube/funnel and the upper feeder opening. I know I'd read about at least a few people trying to close up the 'extra gap' on the old style feeder. Maybe this resolves some issues by itself?

Tough to tell from the pictures, but the plastic for the drum is certainly different looking - just the texture, or is the new one thicker?

Hadn't experienced any problems related to the feeder opening itself. Both the old and new styles allows the feeder opening to be adjusted and I never had any problems with loading both pistol (9, 44, 45, 357) and as well as rifle cases (30.06 & 308).

The drums are slightly difference with the new one being slightly more oval (exterior) than the old and a different texture as you noted.

Aside from it now getting my 357's to the feeder opening, the biggest improvement that I noted was that the drop tube is now an actual funnel rather than the molded clear plastic that served as a funnel. It seems that the fit to the large feed tube is tighter with no way for it to move out of place compared to the old design which would happen to me on rare occasion resulting in the tube moving too far into the molded plastic than intended.

Regarding the opening - I'd seen a handful of comments about people 're-clocking' the opening..not sure if that means the upper collator 'tub' used to be able to be separated from the lower part (with the funnel and motor inside) or not.

If you look at the right side opening from the collator, and draw a horizontal line downwards, you'll see the new feeder is much more closely aligned, while the older has a 'gap' to the right before the funnel opening. Guessing this may have caused some occasional issues or 'brass rain' with smaller pistol cases on the older model.