Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please explain 3gun nation

I am planning to dive head first into three gun next year and do 5-6 big matches. I am pretty confused about 3gun nation though. I went to their site to sign up and left more confused than when I started. To start with, please answer a few questions:

1) Do I need to get classified? I have seen classifier stages being shot, but I haven't seen classifications being used at any matches that I have been to.

2) I understand that the points series is based upon your top three finishes at 3gn sponsored events but I don't know that the points are used for. Is that to get into the shoot off in Vegas?

3) Can anybody sign up as a pro, or is that based upon classification or points or what? Is there a benefit to signing up as pro, or amateur, or what ever other division is offered?

4) I now see that they are holding regional championships. Would I need to go to all of those to accumulate points or will points still be available at other matches (rm3g, fallen brethren, fnh, Texas multigun, etc)

These are just the tip of the iceberg but I think these answers would start me down the path of enlightenment.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my shot at your questions.

Classification at this time is only used for letting a competitor know where they stand against the top shooters.

Points are used for the divisional races and semi pro standings.

Pro series is only for those shooters that have previously qualified for the pro series. At this time, a shooter can earn a spot in the qualifier match by either finishing high in the semi pro series or one of the top 5 spots in the divisional series. The top 15 shooters for the qualifier make it to the pro series. Only the top 30 from the Pro Series earn a spot at the Vegas Shoot-Offs.

According to the release today on the regional matches, the only points series next year will involve the regionals. No more Amateur division, and the divisional points series is only through these regionals. It did not say if it will be a shooters top 1,2, or 3 scores.

Here is the release on next years 3GN Regional Matches - http://3gunnation.com/news/details/artmid/509/articleid/238760/3-gun-nation-announces-3gn-regional-championships-in-2014-. Unless I missed it, I believe the classifiers will still run at the club level, but it looks like we don't have all the information yet.

From the 3GN Site

3-Gun Nation is proud to announce the advent of yet another new competition seriesthe 3-Gun Nation (3GN) Regional Championships. Part 3GN Pro Series, part natural-terrain/outlaw-inspired stage design, the 3GN Regional matches will comprise everything one can expect to see in the sport of 3-gun. These four events will be open to any 3GN member, with a one-time membership fee of $25 applied to any non-member who would like to shoot.

The four venues chosen for the inaugural 3GN Regional Series are Clinton House, in South Carolina, the Rockcastle Shooting Center, in Park City, Kentucky, a new range facility outside Las Vegas, and Copperhead Creek Shooting Club, in Marble Falls, Texas, located near Austin. All four ranges host 3GN Club Series events, a requirement for hosting 3GN Regionals, and three of the four venues are new locations for major 3-gun matches.

Fast, burn-em down, Pro-style stages will be featured alongside technical, natural terrain courses of fire with long-range target presentations. 3GN Club Series Classifier stages will also be included in the mix at each event. Led by 3GN Club Series Director Charles Sole (who has perfected well-rounded match presentations at Tarheel 3-Gun in North Carolina) and 3GN Club Series Co-Director Tennille Chidester, the 3GN Regional Championships will present 3GNs take on the most complete matches in all the sport.

"These matches are designed from the ground up for the competitor experience, Sole said. "Our mission is to give shooters everything they could possibly see in the sport of 3-gun, with customer service held at a premium."

Better yet, an updated 2014 3GN Club Series Rules set will govern all four Regional Championships. This means that the rules, safety procedures and scoring will be exactly the same at each of the four events. Each 3GN Regional event will feature full online registration, powered by RangeLog, online match administration and real-time scoring.

The Regional matches will run on a two-day format, with approximately 200 competitors competing for 3GNs goal of $150,000 in prizes per event. To kick start the program, Cheaper Than Dirt! has signed on as the title sponsor of the 3GN Regional Championships, pledging $100,000 in product, to be distributed in sums of $25,000 worth of product per event.

Stag Arms also recently signed on as a 3GN Regional sponsor, with five 3G rifles to be awarded on the prize table at each match. Meanwhile, Leupold Tactical Optics is sponsoring the series with five scopes per match.

HiperFire Triggers also recently signed on for the 2014 Regional Championships and have donated 60 trigger units (15 per match). Barnes Precision Machine extended its 3GN partnership in 2014 by pledging 12 rifles and 12 full uppers (three each, per match) to the 3GN Regional Championships. And of course, no 3GN event would be complete without MGM steel target presentations, as MGM is the official and exclusive target supplier of 3-Gun Nation.

With the advent of the 3GN Regional Series, all future 3GN Divisional races will now take place only at the 3GN Regional Championship matches. This means that the Semi-Pro, Lady and Junior divisions will all be ran exclusively at 3GN Regional matches. The equipment Division races, as well as the Amateur division, are being discontinued at this time.

This streamlined presentation of 3GN series is expected to raise the bar for competition throughout all of 3GNs programs. Moreover, if a competitor isnt interested in competing in a series, individual 3GN Regional Championship matches can be shotjust like any other major match in the country. Just sign up as a 3GN member, register for the match (more info on registration to be released soon), and come out and enjoy oneor allof what are sure to be the hottest ticket in all of 3-gun in 2014the 3GN Regional Championships.

2014 3GN Regional Series

Southeast Regional Championship - March 1, 2 - Clinton, SC

West Regional Championship - May 17, 18 - Las Vegas

Midwest Regional Championship - Aug 16, 17 - Park City, KY

Southwest Regional Championship - Oct. 11, 12 Marble Falls, TX

I'm sure the classifier system and club series will stay in place, probably with a few minor changes.

As to the qualifier, to have an opportunity to shoot in it this year, you had to either shoot semi pro and come in high enough (don't remember the position, maybe 25th or better?), or shoot divisional and come in 5th or better overall in any division.

There is no explaining 3 gun nation ;)

Just remember these matches are all total time, no stage points, and have a few different rules than most of us are used to playing under.

And that everything is subject to change anytime without notice.

Just remember these matches are all total time, no stage points, and have a few different rules than most of us are used to playing under.

New rules....

Like if you miss a manditory mag change you get 10 sec penalty "per round fired" until you do the mag change.

I know, I did it. Yes it is a classifier stage, Yes I understand the classifer needing to be constant.

No I don't agree with the excessivness of the penalty in a 3 gun competition.

Anyone can register as Semi-Pro through their website. Next season, if you register SP and shoot their Regional Championships, you'll gain points toward a semi-pro ranking and ultimately a chance to shoot the qualifier, depending on how many shooters they invite.

Not so...next years regionals will run under a time plus... points...

Call me at 9192017990 or email charles@3gunnation.com if you have question.i will answer your questions and provide you accurate info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by csole

There is no explaining 3 gun nation ;) Just remember these matches are all total time, no stage points, and have a few different rules than most of us are used to playing under. And that everything is subject to change anytime without notice.
Not so...next years regionals will run under a time plus... points... Call me at 9192017990 or email charles@3gunnation.com if you have question.i will answer your questions and provide you accurate info. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will the rules be posted and solid prior to registration opening? Seems to me that would be a good idea and maybe cut down on speculation.

Total time ??? Where did you hear that one? That would be a deal breaker for me! Edited by Jesse Tischauser

There is no explaining 3 gun nation ;) Just remember these matches are all total time, no stage points, and have a few different rules than most of us are used to playing under. And that everything is subject to change anytime without notice.

Not so...next years regionals will run under a time plus... points... Call me at 9192017990 or email charles@3gunnation.com if you have question.i will answer your questions and provide you accurate info. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will the rules be posted and solid prior to registration opening? Seems to me that would be a good idea and maybe cut down on speculation.

That would be a great idea for every match but it's not feasible in this sport. Just about every match I have attended hasn't posted their "new or updated" rules before registration even if their weren't changes.

Total time ??? Where did you hear that one? That would be a deal breaker for me!

Thats how the 3gun nation International Pro-AM etc was run at rockcastle a few weeks ago. It made the match come down to one long shotgun stage and a few stages with rifle past 200... and negated the 4 classifiers we shot as stages because smoking someone by 2 sec on an 8 sec stage is a huge deal with stage points... but nothing in a total time match.

Charles did sayit would not be total time in the future. The total time format at the international made the 4 classifier stages almost insignificant .

As far as rules, considering that 3gn is into a standardized format, and there have been some fluctuations in past years.. Might make some folks more comfortable if they could see the rules ahead if time. Particularly for scoring and points toward semipro.

I trust Charles and believe him when he says it will not be total time. But would like to see it somewhere other than Enos before I sign up for matches, renew membership, etc.

Rules are many times subject to change, but who schedules 4 "major" for a point series and would expect everyone to sign-up, plan vacations... W/O reading the rules? Standardized rules are more important for a series that any other format and must be "in stone".

SMM3G posts it's rules way before every Match, as an example. I cannot speak to other Matches....

I do agree that rules should be posted and finalized well before the Match is scheduled to begin.

Mick

That would be a great idea for every match but it's not feasible in this sport. Just about every match I have attended hasn't posted their "new or updated" rules before registration even if their weren't changes.
Edited by MickB

So do RM3G and Blueridge, but when i point out the obvious Jesse thinks I'm picking on him. :)

Those are 3 of the nearly 20 state or regional matches out there. If you could get everyone to do the same then you might have something. I don't think you are picking on me but you do like to troll my posts lately.

Charles did sayit would not be total time in the future. The total time format at the international made the 4 classifier stages almost insignificant .

As far as rules, considering that 3gn is into a standardized format, and there have been some fluctuations in past years.. Might make some folks more comfortable if they could see the rules ahead if time. Particularly for scoring and points toward semipro.

I trust Charles and believe him when he says it will not be total time. But would like to see it somewhere other than Enos before I sign up for matches, renew membership, etc.

Rules are many times subject to change, but who schedules 4 "major" for a point series and would expect everyone to sign-up, plan vacations... W/O reading the rules? Standardized rules are more important for a series that any other format and must be "in stone".

We are in the final edit on the rules...yes the intl 3 gun last month ran under the rules that govern the classifier which have been time plus.please note we at 3GN had been asked to do those classifier stages as a side match deal. That changed, not by us but other running the event. We were advised that Folks wanted to earn classifier chips so we had to use the time plus rules, that is all. It was an effort to get folks classifiers by the match staff.

We are in the final edit on the rules...yes the intl 3 gun last month ran under the rules that govern the classifier which have been time plus.please note we at 3GN had been asked to do those classifier stages as a side match deal. That changed, not by us but other running the event. We were advised that Folks wanted to earn classifier chips so we had to use the time plus rules, that is all. It was an effort to get folks classifiers by the match staff.
I understand that there was discussion about allowing those classifiers to be shot as time plan, for classification sake. However, that does not mean they cannot be given a percentage/points based score as a stage in the match. That is how the local matches in Ky are doing it in the club series. Point if the classifier is a stage, and then submit time for classification to 3GN. Maybe this could be same at regionals. Edited by Lead-Head