Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot timer for training

kirbinster

I am trying to work on improving my draw speed and transition times and was wondering what the best way to do this might be. I have tried Surefire ShotTimer V1.6 on my iPhone and it sort of works OK for dry firing but sometimes misses the sound of my double action shots from my 92FS and CZ-75B. Is there a better app to use or would I get better results from a dedicated shot timer. If the latter, which one and what sort of price tag might I be looking at. Thanks.

I seen lots of guys trying to run phone app timers on both Iphones and Android. What you find out is that a phone isn't a shot timer. Just spend the money and get a real shot timer. There are lots of good ones out there now. Most start around $125. I run the CED7000 and an old RUREADY release trigger timer, but lots of guys like the Pac or Club timers.

I recently picked up a pocket pro II off amazon for around $120 shipped.. I went back and forth on getting one for a while and finally decided it was worth it. I hated to pay over a hundred bucks for just a timer but I think it is the most important tool for advancement to the next level of shooting.

For dry fire you need to use the Par Time function of your timer ....

Par time is a time you set in the timer for how long you want to complete the drill. Say you want to get a 1 sec draw. You're start by say setting a par time of 1.3 secs. What happens is when you push the start button on your timer you get the normal beep at which point to execute the draw ... 1.3 secs later the timer will beep a second time so you can see if you completed your draw before, on or after the beep.

Once you make a par time you then drop it and repeat the process until you can make the new par time. This is how you develop speed in your gun handling skills in dry fire.

I recently bought the CED7000 along with Steve Anderson book on dry fire, after a couple of days with both I realized I should have bought a shot timer a loooooong time ago. Well, at least two years ago. The book helps a lot as well.

The iPhone apps are never accurate enough. I tried several of them for a year, and gave up. Get yourself a nice timer --- you won't regret it. The Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II is a great timer and well worth the $120 I spent on it.

Yes the iPhone app (Surefire) does hundredths. It is fairly accurate and only misses something once in a while - but I don't care about that as I am using it as a training aide not to time competition. It has a setting for Par Time but I have yet tried that, as until I posted this I did not really understand what that was.

• 3 weeks later...

For your dry fire practice you can download the RUReady online timer. You can set a par time of x seconds that repeats after a given delay period.....say 5 seconds to reholster and get to the start position. I t repeats and repeats all night long if you want.

http://www.predatortactical.com/uploads/media/Flashfiles/drawbeepSlider082504.swf

"http://www.predatortactical.com/uploads/media/Flashfiles/drawbeepSlider082504.swf"

This is on the predatortactical website

Edited by t0066jh

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for dry fire.

Live fire I use a CE Pocket PRO, a bit bulky but it is what I am used to locally. A buddy has one of the SHOTMAXX by DAA and the thing is fantastic for training on your own, just a bit pricey if you ask me.

I recently bought the CED7000 along with Steve Anderson book on dry fire, after a couple of days with both I realized I should have bought a shot timer a loooooong time ago. Well, at least two years ago. The book helps a lot as well.

+A LOT. This book is great for a dry firing regiment. Also recommend Ben Stoeger's 15 minute program.