Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffer spring vibration question

Travtastik

What is the best way to stop the vibration in the buffer spring? I have a rifle length buffer tube and it fells like its gonna shake a filling out of a tooth when I shoot this rifle now.

I was planing on ordering a JP LMOS for it but wanted know if this would help the vibration? I seen a new buffer spring on JPs site that says it helps (about $20) and I also considered the silent capture spring. Is there something else out there I am overlooking?

Thanks for the help.

Travis

Edited by Travtastik

No doubt lube will help, but so would a smoother external spring surface. Believe JP's spring is polished, so you can pay for it, or do it yourself. Would use something mild like Simichrome or other polish, not sandpaper. Lube when assembling.

The receiver extension is supposed to be anodized and I think teflon impregnated, so would not polish the interior.

Edited by mpom

White lithium grease works. The JP spring (they are polished) and white lithium grease works better. I have not tried the JP captured spring. My CTR-02 and my AR10 are both smooth with JP springs and a little grease, just don't put too much grease.

Hurley

So does the JP Silent Captured really have a big advantage over JP's Low Mass recoil buffer and spring?

It's heavier but way quieter and smoother.

And I would say it feels 'faster' if that makes any sense. It almost feels like the rifle didn't cycle, because it happens fast enough that you don't perceive any movement. My standard ARs feel downright sluggish next to my match rifles with LMOS carriers and captive springs.