Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmithing schools?

TimMc

With all the experince out there on the forum.

Who is the recomended or avoid online schools for gunsmithing. I have local college to get machining but not specific gunsmithing education.

Any feed back would be great.

Tim

All the gunsmiths I know are drowning in work so I'd bet you could talk one into an apprenticeship, then who knows maybe you buy the business from him in the end...

I'd be inclined to work for free before I paid for a school.

Edited by kneelingatlas

There is a college in Iowa offering an actual Gunsmithing program..I'm about an hour from the iowa border in Illinois so we get some commercials from there also but cant remember

which school was offering them..Google can maybe be your friend?

I'm in gunsmithing program down in Mt Carmel, we are very heavy machining based. The first part of course is general repairs then you go to work in machine shop learning general machining skills. Then you go on to build a 1911 brownells comes in for that for a week. After winter break you come back to start working on a AR and bolt action build. These builds include rechambering and rebarrel a bolt action. The AR is an uncountoured barrel blank so you do all of the work involved with that. We also do a finishing including blueing and spray on coating. If you have any questions about the program let me know, I will admit I am a bit biased.

• 4 weeks later...