Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are NY USPSA shooters dealing with new gun laws?

Not sure how NY shooters are dealing with it, but have you seen the change USPSA made.... (or is making)

"In jurisdictions where competitors are restricted by law to maximum magazine capacity, the maximum capacity allowed in the contest, per division, will be the lesser of said law limitations or division limitations. Individuals exempt from the law restrictions must still comply with this section. Any such limitations must be made known to all competitors by the Match Director/Range Master before the start of the match."

So my reading of that rules says that basically the MD of the 2014 New York Run and Gun Championship can declare all Divisions to be limited to the NY maximum (7rds, 10rds?). Now this makes sense in a couple of ways ... keep out of state shooters safe from predatory law enforcement, and keeps in state shooters on a level playing field (not shooting Open 10 vs Open 30).

For the folks that live in NY and compete elsewhere, I wonder where they stash their mags...or do all New Yorkers simply shoot revolver :)

With the 2014 law requiring no more than 7 rounds in a pistol magazine, even Limited 10 & Production wouldn't be an option, as I read it...

As a NY shooter, as much as it hurt, I simply sold all my rifle & pistol hi caps on this site. And regarding the 7 round law, that only applies to carry guns and guns kept at home. At a sanctioned club match, competitors are allowed to load a maximum of 10 rounds in a gun. So effectively, L10 & Production aren't affected. We no longer have a Limited division at our club and Open shooters are now shooting Open 10. Of course, for the ride home, all mags must be downloaded to 7 to comply with the new law. Hope that helps.

It's a shame NY shooters are having to deal with this inconvenience. I would bet money that this law will be found unconstitutional, I just regret the wheels of justice have to turn so slowly.

Yikes! I'm considering a job in the Albany area and now in addition to considering the normal stuff like taxes, medical and salary, I need to figure out if it's worth it to sell off the evil firearms, relocate them elsewhere, or simply just decline the job. It sucks that this type of decision even has to cross our minds. Good thing I don't like soda and fatty foods :)

• 2 months later...

It's a start.. It only a matter of time before N.Y. Enacts the Freedom of Speech act where your allowed 10 words but the liberals will only approve 6 of them.. Kinda scary being a bordering state with a growing Liberal bias........