Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using nickel plated brass.

sandrooney

Life span is a little less as Latch15 already stated. Tends to neck split a little sooner than brass cases and is slightly harder to resize, so use a little one-shot lube. But, it will still take 10-15 loadings, so you will probably lose it before it splits.

The nickle plating is slicker and helps feeding in the .38 super, so that is a plus.

Nickle plated 38 super was the brass of choice in the 175pf days to help with the extraction.

If you can get it for a good price, go for it. Don't think I'd pay a premium for nickel plated any longer, though.

Edited by Bamboo

Nickel brass is commonly referred to as "slicker" than brass, however, it has more than double the coefficient of friction vs brass. (.64 vs .30). Fwiw, I said the same thing until it was pointed out to me by another shooter and I researched the topic for myself.

That's good info about the friction coefficients. Is it possible that the nickel plating makes the case harder and therefore it dosent expand as much when fried making it easier to extract. The case being harder would also explain it cracking sooner and harder to resize. I have used both and I agree with most that is doesn't last as long and not worth the extra that it costs new.

That's good info about the friction coefficients. Is it possible that the nickel plating makes the case harder and therefore it dosent expand as much when fried making it easier to extract. The case being harder would also explain it cracking sooner and harder to resize. I have used both and I agree with most that is doesn't last as long and not worth the extra that it costs new.

No it does not make it harder. The reason case life is shortened is the brass is a tad thinner to accommodate the plating while maintaining correct dimensions. So the case is slightly weakened when compared to non-plated. If the brass is clean I don't see the CoF being an issue.

I don't shoot nickel but a buddy does. He shoots it because he is one of like 2 guys that do so he can get all of his brass back. LOL

Edited by StraightUp_OG